OT: Postal charges for forwarding mail?

That's nice of them. No mention of a need to attempt to let either the sender or the intended recipient know that this item is out there, and still deliverable. This means that anything falling into this hole could legally end up in the home of somebody from RM, even though the sender sent it to the last known address for the intended recipient.

Reply to
Davey

I would hope that the Royal Mail would at least deliver the item, even if they wanted the recipient to pay, rather than disposing of it or returning it to the sender.

The Royal Mail really need to publicise this change in policy *much* better. When I was growing up there was the standard assumption that wrongly-delivered mail could be readdressed and put into the post box to be forwarded. If that policy has been changed, there needs to be a big publicity campaign, and I've not seen one.

I presume that correctly-addressed but wrongly-delivered mail *is* forwarded free of charge: we received a letter addressed to a valid street name, village and post town, and post code. But it had been delivered to us, in a road of the same name, even though we were in another part of the country: it was as if the sorting office had fixated on the road name and ignored all the more important routing info like postcode.

Reply to
NY

When we moved here, we paid for 12 months of forwarding (this was 8 years ago). So did the previous owners, but after a year their mail was still arriving so for 12 months we re-addressed it for them. After that we started putting "not known" on and reposting it.

Anyone know for how long the paid-for forwarding has been in operation? Did you always have to pay, or was it once a free service? I would have assumed that, once it became paid-for, RM would have then stated their policy about manual forwarding.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I first used it in the 1980s and it was chargeable then, and I think that it has always been a chargeable service.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Its one of those catch al nothing to do with us guv type clauses, probably illegal if its challenged in court. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff