OT: Postal charges for forwarding mail?

On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 14:39:31 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
This particular quote, used in your sig file, seems to be irritatingly incomplete.
*"I am " is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. *
What's missing is the next line which ought to read:
" whilst "I do" has often turned out to be the *longest sentence* in the English Language." :-)
--
Johnny B Good

Like hell it is with all of the govt schools, cops, most roads, judicial system, the NHS, the BBC etc etc etc.
It isnt even for newspapers anymore, they are basically a rat hole to pour rich people's money down now.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

The story of my life :-)
You would be amazed (or perhaps not) at how much is not actually written down, particularly regarding interaction between Royal Mail and Post Office. Worse, if written down, contradictory information. A few years ago, PO and RM both published 'guide to posting' booklets. The PO booklet said 'printed paper' going abroad must have a customs declaration. The RM booklet said the customs dec was advisory but not essential. You can imagine the problems that caused at the counter.
Getting back to redirections, we were not allowed to accept redirected mail at the counter without new postage being affixed, so I just told people to stick it in the box outside, knowing that RM would almost certainly (re)deliver it.
--
Graeme

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 7:19:36 AM UTC+1, News wrote:

I managed to find out the exact date things changed. Stamp collectors to th e rescue! The website of the Great Britain Philatelic Society <http://gbps. org.uk/> has an archive of all the old versions and amendments to the UK po st schemes. It seems free forwarding of mail was removed from the rules in the 6th December 2010 update, available here: <http://gbps.org.uk/informati on/sources/po-schemes/inland-letter.php>. The explanatory note, which in ot her updates gives a summary of the changes, is very vague in this update st ating unhelpfully:
"This Scheme, which comes into force on 6th December 2010, provides notific ation of changes to several services."
You have read halfway through the update to find the single line:
"Section 6: Section 6 shall be deleted in its entirety."
Of course you had to know what section 6 was to understand that this repres ented the withdrawal of mail forwarding. No mention of the word forwarding anywhere in the text of the update. Draw your own conclusions.
I don't remember the press noticing at the time, I'm sure it would have bee n a good enough item for an article or two if they had.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

That is interesting. I was still working as local postmaster then, and we were not told about any such changes. Having said that, we would not be told by Royal mail anyway. RM would tell POL who would tell postmasters. Sometimes.
--
Graeme

writes

The charge isn't for the work of redelivering , it's for the work of intercepting it and writing the new address on the front
if someone else does that, why shouldn't they deliver it for the original postage?
tim

Why should they? They're no longer state owned, have a monopoly or are some form of charity. So there's no reason to expect them to do any more than they were paid for. Which was delivering an item to the address on it.
--
*Pentium wise, pen and paper foolish *

Because the original postage was used to deliver it the first time.
--
Graeme

Its very hit and miss nowadays. I got somebody elses radio times a couple of weeks back, and since I could not read the address I left it sitting on my table till a sighted person came around and she gave it to a postman, so we have no idea where it went after that, Suffice to say that the posst code and name were not mine, but the road was right and the number unreadable as printed by some automated process lacking ink. Brian
--
----- -

FWIW my son received a re-addressed letter here this morning, forwarded by his university flatmate - no problem.
I've frequently forwarded mail delivered at home, to my kids at uni this way over the past few years; never heard of it not working
--
David

On 23:13 1 Aug 2016, drbob wrote:

Interesting (snipped) quotations. Thank you.

That was my general understanding. Our local post office said that if a letter was sent by Royal Mail, then it could be forwarded.
That said, when our daughter was working in Belfast, a *lot* of fowarded mail never made it and we had to repackage/re-stamp mail to be sure of delivery.
Tim
Is it just my imagination, or does a far smaller percentage of stamps get visible franked these days? Once upon a time there would be the temptation to soak them off and re-use, but my Yorkshire roots must be wearing off.
I wonder if there is cancellation we can't see, or do self-adhesive stamps resist soaking off?
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

They have vertical oval cutouts embossed in the bottom left and bottom right which in theory will stay attached to the envelope when you remove the rest of the stamp, though I've managed to remove the whole stamp before now when I've had to move the stamp onto a new envelope because I realise I've forgotten to put something (usually a cheque!) in and had to open the envelope.
The other option is to cut/tear the stamp off with a bit of envelope round the edge and then stick that onto another envelope of the same colour.
I'm only advocating doing this before posting. I wouldn't reuse an unfranked stamp that had been used to deliver a letter. No way. (By the way, did I tell you that my nickname is Pinocchio?)
On Thu, 01 Oct 2015 20:13:16 +0100, NY wrote:

Sellotape the envelope closed again?

They're supposed to have two strips that come undone if you try to soak them off.
--
bert

writes

And for a family there is a separate charge for each individual addressee.
--
bert

I suspect that it was always one of those things which they just did, but they weren't obliged to do...Because they did it everyone assumes that they had to :-)
My in laws still get the odd letter for my wife, FIL forwards them by with no problem.
--
Chris French

On 30/09/2015 12:20, Chris French wrote:

If you corresponded with somebody on a regular basis back and forth you could use this to your advantage by having two resealable envelopes, one with your address written and crossed out and redirected to them, the other with their address crossed out and redirected to you. The it's simply a matter of posting it in the right envelope. If you include the unused envelope inside the one being sent the other party could use that when replying! This could go on for some time!
On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 10:04:31 AM UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
rote:

ly 6 months or so ago, I found after much looking pre-2012 of the Inland Po stal Scheme on it and that contained section 6 about forwarding as mentione d earlirer in this thread. I searched their website again to see, if Royal Mail Tracked 24 was included and this time section 6 is just shown as 'dele ted'. Eventually I also found this google group, and the pre 2010 copy agai n which someone had posted on another site, and this showed me that I was n ot mad, I had seen it before! Daughter will need to reimburse me for forwar ding if she has things delivered here during the University term and wants them forwarding!

ult/files/the-royal-mail-united-kingdom-post-scheme-10-august-2015.pdf Bizz arely Bing did not find that when I searched for 'United Kingdom Postal Sch eme'. It found a consultation document in the first several references.

igher up the list so I did not look further down.

previous scheme and 'forwarding' gave only the consultation version of the UKPS.
This link has been updated - see http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/fil es/Royal_Mail_UK_Post_Scheme_January_2017.pdf - Still clause 15.7: It says: We are not under any obligation to do anything with an item that someo ne requests to be forwarded to another address other than the return to sender address on the cover. We consider these unpaid for, forwarding requests to be a form of unofficial redirections request. Typically in thi s situation the original address is crossed out and a written request (e.g. “please forward to”) is made on the cover to forward the item to another ad dress. This is normally attempted in order to try to get the item to the a ddressee who has moved to another address. In these situations the person moving should take out a Redirection service with us or provide pre-paid stationery. If we find an item that someone has requested be fo rwarded to another address then the item may be dealt with or disposed of a t our discretion.