OT: Point of "the fact that"?

What's the point in adding "the fact that" to a sentence?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The fact that you appear not to be too keen on standard forms of English syntax and grammar says something about you.

Reply to
JNugent

Discuss why the above means anything different to "That you appear not to be too keen on standard forms of English syntax and grammar says something about you."

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

To add apparent veracity to a doubtful claim. Bill

Reply to
williamwright

To impress people. The same reason the Nixon people used to say, "at this point in time".

Reply to
micky

+1
Reply to
jon

embellishment. Lots of things like that about, so to speak. Not to mention the fact that I have no idea why you would worry about this, or should that be that? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

"to add artistic verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Excessive words annoy me, more to listen to.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

One would literally never guess that from your contributions here and in similar places.

Reply to
JNugent

At least we agree on something. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You could have said "no kidding". Stop wasting my time.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey