T8 LED light wireing

Googling seems to have failed me with two conflicting diagrams, below I have a T8 Florescent lamp with a failed Electronic ballast so was going to replace with an LED tube how are they wired L+N to one end or Live one End Natural the opposite

Thanks

Reply to
Mark

The top one will work, but has a major problem - two pins at one end are the Live and Neutral pins, while the two pins at the other end are shorted together - so if you put the tube (or a future replacement) in the wrong way around, you have a dead short.

The fitting should be wired so that live goes to one pin at one end, Neutral to one pin at the other end and the two unused pins are connected together.

That way, whichever way around you put the tube in, one feed is direct to a power pin, while the other goes through the shorted pins at the other end and then into the other power pin - ensuring that not only does the tube not short the supply if put in the other way around, but that it actually works both ways around.

Reply to
Steve Walker

My brain hurts. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

+1
Reply to
ARW

Huh The sockets on my fitting are not shorted (shunted) and you can get LED lamps that are one sided, (and the pins on the non feed end are Not Shorted! they just hold the lamp) or two sided input ie live one end neutral the other probably for fittings that do have shorted sockets, so both the diagrams could be correct

-
Reply to
Mark

To be fair you were given an answer that would be suitable for the majority of T8 LEDs that are sold in this country. Hence I gave it a +1.

I have only seen a few (and they were earlier versions) where the tube is only powered at one end and the other end is not a short circuit and even less of the type where one end is L and the other end is N.

If the tube comes with a dummy starter (as most do) then Steve's reply is perfect. If you have bought something that is different then of course Steve's suggestion will not work and you have to follow the manufacturers instructions.

Cheers

Reply to
ARW

The LED tube arrived today and as you said the most common type of LED tube is a replacement for a magnetic ballast type I had a quick glance at the instructions and as I was rewiring the baton I thought why on earth would an LED have a short at one end, I then had that penny dropping moment so thank you both photo of instructions that came with the tube ;(

Mark

for what Steve described.

Glad you are sorted.

Reply to