How to connect LED tube as replacement for fluorescent.

This afternoon I was after some LED tape with associated bits. To make the order up for free postage I thought I'd order a couple of T8 led strip lights. I looked at the instructions for installing these. Not very illuminating.

Last page (p3, right at the end) makes interesting viewing. This is a supposedly reputable company in Reading, not Beijing.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Step 3 shows how it should be wired.

You need to remove the starter (if fitted) and the ballast.

Reply to
Michael Chare

My Aldi ones just give you a special starter (which just has the pins shorted) it works but it leaves the ballast in circuit which makes the system slightly less efficient power wise.

Reply to
F Murtz

Disgraceful instructions! Plainly created by someone with poor English. But, worse, with no editing whatsoever.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Reply to
terrypingm

Sadly this sort of thing is quite common. What often happens is that the instructions come from a maker, and then selected parts of those get cut and pasted into the uk ones, often after local translation by a non technical person.

Its nothing new though is it, many hi fis branded with UK names back in the last century, did exactly the same thing. Hence the reference to loopsticks, and tandem phonos that used to make me wince. There were many more but they have lapsed into my soggy brain. I do remember one item of Norwegian origin coming with a manual which had an English front and rea pages, but the rest was all in Norwegian. Even back then simple checking of things had gone out of the window. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

That special starter is actually a fuse and would not work on the the type of lamp the OP has bought. Your tube has the L&N driver at one end of the tube (just like the OPs tube) however your tube has the pins on the opposite end shorted together to complete the circuit - the OPs tube does not have the pins at the opposite end shorted together, they are electrically isolated and only serve to hold the lamp into place.

If you look at fig 1 with the inductive ballast you can see how the circuit is completed by changing the starter for a fuse and that it would not matter which way around your lamp was inserted.

Reply to
ARW

A test meter I was once given said "Aware not to drop this unit down the floor or damage will be resulted"

It was right.

Reply to
Peter Parry

In article , Peter Parry writes

A light meter I had said "do not wiggle this about or this waggish behaviour may result in damage".

Reply to
bert

Some fuse, seems to be .5mm copper(may be some exotic metal but does not look it.

and would not work on the the

Reply to
F Murtz

That is not a fuse:-)

Let's just say that some LED fluorescent manufacturers do supply a fuse and not just a copper link. The idea being that if a normal fluorescent lamp is reinstalled then the lamp will not explode.

Reply to
ARW

That is why I said the pins were shorted.

Reply to
F Murtz

Forgot the :)

Reply to