OT: Ping Synology NAS users.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing and it looks like NUT is a better option than apcupsd in this instance.

I'll check it out here as I have several APS UPS's, I just need a Synology box ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I have the Synology box, no UPS.

Reply to
Richard

Which one do you have OOI Richard?

The (bare) DS216se that my mate got still seems to be a pretty good price but I still consider the idea of a HP Microserver and some free NAS software? Either solution would still need drives etc.

The Synology box is probably lower power and definitely smaller and does offer a OOTB working solution.

I think it's like lots of these sorts of thing, it's not what they do it's what the can't do (or can't do easily)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

DS210J - old now. Underpowered processor by today's offerings. Hey, it does what I want. There are seemingly good apps as standard and third party apps are available. FWIW, there are more apps available for the DS216J than my 210. I don't know how good/bad they are:

Ease of use is often dependent on the individual IME.

Reply to
Richard

Ok, thanks.

And that's the thing isn't it. I suggest most home servers are idle most of the time so as long as they are able to do what you want when you want it ... ?

If it doesn't quite do what you want, or do it fast enough, the next question is how much are you willing to pay for what sort of performance increase?

Ok.

That was another question I was going to ask ... are these Synology boxes like Apple gear where there is a defined cut off where they can't run the latest OS (if they work like that etc)?

Agreed and often based on other experiences.

Like ... I am reasonably familiar with the concept of file servers (from my personal / company needs and being a CNI) so in spite of never seeing a Synology box in the flesh, let alone touching or configuring one before, all of the stages were reasonably familiar to me.

But that can also be part of the issue ... expectation re features / flexibility and having to unlearn / let go of things you were familiar with or assumed would be present on all similar devices.

Luckily, my expectations re the Synology box were fairly basic ... file server with maybe some extra features so even thought I still only have a very brief exposure to them, I quite like what I've seen so far.

One confusing bit (for someone who rarely reads a manual on anything) is not knowing or even being able to predict from any of the prompts, just how the box was going to deal with the second (replacement, DOA) drive when it was added. We wanted it to turn out to be RAID1 but wasn't sure till it actually displayed 4+4 were going to =4 were we happy re the outcome. We weren't sufficiently bothered about the outcome (certainly not enough to read up on it ) as the box wasn't holding much data and so could easily be stripped / rebuilt.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m