Stripping previously treated decking - any advice?

Hi

I've got a reasonably new (3 years) deck at the bottom of the garden. I initially treated it with Cuprinol Decking Treatment, but it's proved absolute rubbish (has anyone else found this?). It's flaked off all over, and the result is a real mess with some bits completely back to bare wood and others (where there is shelter) still covered.

I want to now treat it with decking oil, but obviously would like to clear off the old stuff first. I've used a standard decking cleaner which has cleaned up all the muck, but I wondered about some kind of stripping solution to take off the old seal. I've used a pressure washer and t-racer which has cleaned it up, and there's no sign of any damage to the wood.

I've seen these sorts of things at 'decksupply.co.uk'

seem expensive (around 35 quid a bottle) but I can't find anything else that looks suitable.

Do I need to do this? Or should I just try some similar colour decking oil on it as it stands and hope for the best?

I'd be grateful for any thoughts

James

Reply to
JamesReed

Thats why I advise clients to use decking oil - it recoats easily.

I'd try nitromors. You can rinse it off with the pressure washer.

I shouldn't - it would look awful.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'd strip it as suggested and just leave it to weather IME once wood goes that silver grey colour, it won't support any kind of surface coating.

Reply to
stuart noble

Thats the beauty of decking oil - it soaks in rather than forming a surface coating.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes, I've been kicking myself for not doing so.

Sounds like a good plan - I'll have a go and see.

James

Reply to
JamesReed

Yep, I used it and it is utter tat, the most walked on areas started wearing after about 3 months. I cleaned it off with a jetwash with the patio cleaner attachment.

Reply to
Camdor

You need THREE coats of ANY good outdoor sealer to cope with a hard summer and winter cycle.

And a new coat after the winter: the wood peels and cracks it off. If its not 100% waterproof.

Sanding is about the only way to remove it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not read the thread, sorry if already mentioned, I assume you can not use a pressure washer with sand blasting attachment? Decking has a lot of convoluted edges which might be destroyed or it might work ok?

Whatever you choose to replace it with, use something "overcoatable".

Reply to
js.b1