OT Performing rights...

My woodworking tenant is being harassed by someone attempting to extract money on behalf of performing rights for his daring to listen to a portable radio in his workshop!

Anyone come across this?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes. He wasn't daft enough to admit to having a radio was he?

You might enjoy the thread on overclockers about PRS

a lawyers view

target small businesses, village halls and the like.

Reply to
Martin Brown

My woodworking tenant is being harassed by someone attempting to extract money on behalf of performing rights for his daring to listen to a portable radio in his workshop!

Anyone come across this?

It's quite common.

If he (and, if working from home, his family) are the only people who can hear it then he can tell them to Foxtrot Oscar.

If OTOH co-workers and/or visiting customers can hear it, then they have every right to collect (moral argument about that right irrelevant)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Yup, a few of our clients have had that. Basically asking lots of leading questions to try and find an excuse to send a bill.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not unusual. If he works on his own in his own premises, it's usually not required. But if others are present - especially the public - he may well need one. As it then becomes a performance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And make sure you PABX does not play something that counts when folks are "on hold"...

Reply to
John Rumm

You can buy royalty-free CDs for this purpose, or even commission a recording for your own use.

You can even get CDs which include the voice-overs "your call is important to us", "you are moving up the queue", etc.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I just bought two or three bits over the net.

I've probably posted this link before, but it's worth repeating. Listen to all of it.

Bob Eager

Make your own cd of music from performers that allow free use and play it full bore when the prs come round.

Reply to
F Murtz

Usually muzak. The sort where you pay a fixed fee for the use of. Ever wondered why they don't play the latest hit?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why would anyone answer such questions? They have no statutory right to question you. And if you're registered with the TPS / corporate TPS, what right do they believe they have to disturb you?

Reply to
mike

Reply to
Huge

making sure that none of the music is copyright.

Reply to
charles

Why would anyone answer such questions? They have no statutory right to question you. And if you're registered with the TPS / corporate TPS, what right do they believe they have to disturb you?

Because they aren't making a marketing call

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Not as funny as the prs website.

many times can they uses the words "PRS for Music, at its discretion"?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Because 45 minutes of listening to Sam and The Womp Bom Bom before giving your lecky meter reading is prohibited as cruel and unusual punishment.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

-- ----------------

Well, in that case, no one will be buying a licence, will they?

Reply to
mike

This thread seems to have struck a bit of a sour note!

The actual circumstances are one man and a shed full of machines. The radio is on because he suffers from tinnitus and finds loud music masks the symptoms.

There is also a *bench space* associate but their working hours rarely coincide.

Thanks to all for the comments and pointers.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

:

Are these not the people who had to be sued by the actual performers as the= y were sticking to the money they had collected on the performers behalf ?

Reply to
fred

Well, in that case, no one will be buying a licence, will they?

I assume that you're making the connection with an end result of paying out some money meaning that it must be a marketing call

They are an legally constructed organisation attempting to collect a legally constructed fee. They are not attempting to sell you something that you might not need.

This is no different from the Inland Revenue (theoretically) ringing you because you haven't paid your tax this month.

Are the revenue making a marketing call?

And (once again, more explicitly this time), nothing that I have written here should be construed to imply that I think the situations under which this fee is legally required, are morally right.

tim

Reply to
tim.....