OT: People wearing facemasks while travelling in a car !

That?s because they were silly cows/calves.

Reply to
John_j

You have probably heard of the stereotypical, jewish cure all - chicken soup? Maybe others have?

As it happens, research a few years ago showed that jews were right all along. Not only does the heat have a decongesting effect, but the soup itself has anti-inflammatory properties.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Oddly, having got used to skimmed, I don't like full fat milk. Semi skimmed is OK. Actually, thinking about it, we used to buy a mix of all three, it is now a mix of two.

Reply to
Brian Reay

In our household we use about 6 pints a day. When the three children were happy to drink it, we were up to about 12 pints a day!

A glass each in the in the morning for me and my wife, one when coming home from work and another before bed. The glasses are just under a pint, which leaves just enough for a few cups of tea for the five of us.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

While what you post is correct, I remember the research being reported etc, traditional Jewish chicken soup is quite different to the tinned or powdered stuff sold as chicken soup. So much so, if someone unfamiliar with traditional Jewish Chicken soup were served it, they may well not realise what it was. Don?t misunderstand me, it is very good, ( and not easy to make REALLY well, I?m still working on it) but it is entirely different to canned chicken soup.

Whether the canned stuff has the ?good stuff? I don?t know. I suspect not.

Reply to
Brian Reay

You should have invested in a cow ;-)

Milk is one of those things we tend to use and not really be aware of. I prefer Latte coffee and can easily use a pint a day just on a couple of coffees. Add in tea, porridge, ..... and the Tesco ratio would be gone in less than a week.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Very likely not, but how many people will realise that?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

We have said that many times!

We are definitely aware. Due to the quantity, we tend to buy a six pint bottle of whole and one of semi every couple of days and regularly are thwarted by the local supermarket not having anything larger than 4 pints. 4 pints of each is not enough for two days and 8 pints of each won't fit the fridge door, so we either have to sacrifice one for the other or go shopping sooner.

We did try having milk delivered on a number of occasions, but each time we ended up ordering too much or too little, as it had to be done in advance and deliveries kept slipping later and later until they were happening after we'd both gone out to work.

Our main usage is just drinking it, but tea is also vital - even our

12-year old keeps putting in requests as frequently as he thinks he can get away with.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

A Dexter is the cow most people only having one or two go for.

They are small, easy to look after etc.

Goats are an option, if you like the milk. Goat meat is very nice ;-) Goat cheese is a treat for the gods.

We went through that process years ago. I?ve not seen a milkman in this area in years - early morning or day time.

A bit unusual for a youngster. Not bad of course but it seems to be something that develops later- certainly in ours. One still doesn?t drink proper tea or coffee and she?s nearly 30.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I like goat's cheese, but my wife is disgusted by it.

Goat meat can be good too.

We did once arrive home from a holiday in France, dropping friends off on the way, getting home at about 2 am. We had tried to find a 24h garage to buy some milk, but nowhere was open. By chance, we caught a milkman delivering a few minutes away from home and bought a pint off him! We were very surprised to find one delivering that early.

Our 16 year old is into proper filter coffee (he even has his own machine) or hot chocolate and our 14 year old likes the occasional tea, but our 12 year old is absolutely mad for tea.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

We can fit five 4 pint bottles in the fridge. When it gets down to three, I get more when I next go out, keeping a careful rotation.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You can't panic buy something that is only available on prescription. That is quite different from the potential disruption of supply lines if we end up with a no deal Brexit or a deal that results in delays for goods at our borders. Project fear is simply a Brexiteer name for any prediction, such as this, that does not match their rose tinted view of life post-Brexit.

Reply to
nightjar

We could keep plenty more in there, but we have the shelves spaced for specific items and that means that three 4 pinters or two 6 pinters fit the bottom of the fridge door (quite tall fridge-freezer). With my wife being under 5' and suffering from rheumatoid arthritis as well, she finds getting milk in and out any higher a problem.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Interesting. My wife insists on buying 2-pints (or single litres) as the bigger ones are too hard to handle. Perhaps your wife would do better with the smaller ones?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris