hearing loss

There has been some talk of hearing protection and such. But sometimes the effects are overlooked.

I have been working at a reno this week and a crew of 2 hardwood floor installers showed up to install parkay flooring ( glue down ).

They worked with a small table saw ( no guard ) and no hearing protection. One even was wearing a ring all day.

One of the installers was in his early 30 and both had the radio playing LOUD. But to them it wasn't loud at all. And you had to speak loudly to have a converstion with them.

Wear your protective gear and take safety precautions seriously.

: "The only person sure of himself is the man who wishes to : leave things as they are, and he dreams of an impossibility" : -- George M. Wrong. : : Angelo Castellano emails - statsone@sympatico dot gov : gov to be replaced with ca :

Angelo Castellano pos

I wish someone had told me that 35 years ago!

Reply to
Jon Dough

In article , "Angelo Castellano posting" wrote: [snip]

What's the big deal about wearing a ring? If you get your hand so close to a moving part that you're in danger of snagging your ring on it, you have your hand too damn close to it anyway, ring or not.

What else am I gonna do with my wedding ring, anway? Put it on a chain around my neck? I don't think so.

Put it in my pocket? And lose it? Then try to explain that to SWMBO? That's an even _greater_ hazard than putting it around my neck. :-)

Leave it on the dresser? Then try to explain to SWMBO's _parents_ why I'm not wearing my ring anymore? Or her brother? Yeah, right.

I'll take my chances with the machinery, thank you very much.

Doug Miller

Angelo Castellano pos

Reply to
Doug Miller

That's why I don't try to stop moving machinery with my left hand. :)

Being aware of the ring and actively working to protect it from harm is IMHO sufficient to avoid catching it on anything. I don't want to get it scraped up. It belonged to my great grandfather.

Good argument for taking it off, granted, but I always lose track of it when I do. It and a watch are the only jewlry I ever need.

Reply to
Silvan

Fine, exercise your right to ignore lessons of others. I don't wear my ring while doing any kind of manual labor. I've had rings catch on stuff. Something on the ranch went wrong and even through leather gloves my finger was bleeding 360 degrees.

My dad doesn't wear his when doing manual labor either. When he was a young he jumped out of a hayrack. The ring caught on a nail. If the hayrack had been a couple inches taller he would have lost the finger.

I put these all in the same category: "Use your TS guard." "Use push sticks." "Take off your rings in the shop."

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Hearing is not only lost to loud noise exposure, but to illness. That's were a part of mine went.

Sitting in front of some Marshall stacks at concerts in younger days didn't help.

As for the power tools, yikes! The planer, router, vac, TS, jointer, well the list can go on......

Today, it's hearing protect or no tool use. No concerts anymore since the people I'd go to see are either dead or no longer perform. Not to mention I'm not interested in music that loud. And illness, well, that's strictly chance.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

I heard about wearing rings and hazards. Some shops just don't allow them. I'm 49 and had my hearing tested. I was surprised to hear my hearing is as good as a 20-year-old. I do wear earmuffs in the shop (some of the time) and when mowing the lawn. It would be nice if my eyes were as good as my ears. I use a jeweler's loupe to remove splinters.

Reply to
Phisherman

I wear mine on business trips to help remind me...

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

No, he's making excuses so when his finger gets ripped off he can call it an accident.

We've been married 12 years. I don't wear a ring and if I wear a watch it has a rubber band.

I told wife before we were married I wouldn't wear a ring, I was around too many things at home and work and it would be a hazard. She got me a small band for the ceremony. I would wear it on occasion. Found myself wearing it one day at work, figured all I was going was pulling wrenches so I left it on. When I got home I went to take it off and couldn't, found it was ovaled. Took it off and haven't seen it in years. We figured I lost it.

Got another ring, this time a 'comfort fit'. It's a big fat band and irritating as hell. I know exactly where this one is (inside the safe). I wear it only at weddings and job interviews.

Reply to
Mark
Reply to
Angelo Castellano pos

Every commercial endeavor that falls under the control of OSHA has similar safety requirements to protect people's hands and other parts of the body. It amazes me that the guys who fall outside the realm of OSHA often don't take any safety precautions at all. I think they're crazy. Because of OSHA the company I work for has various workgroups of 50 to 200 people who have worked for years with no recordable OSHA injuries. Not permitting finger rings is part of the protection scheme.

Chris

Reply to
CP

Wow. Wish I had problems like that. I had mine resized, resized, then had to get a new one. Because it kept getting too small. I didn't realize gold would shrink like that, but that *must* be why it kept getting tighter and tighter.

My college ring is very tight, and my high school ring is the tighest of them all.

Reply to
Silvan

guess he should have work a better fitting ring(I still cant see how it would catch, unless he tried really hard and jammed the thin edge of the ring in the teeth that you use to tighten which i have skinned a knuckle nicely on trying to slow down)

in article kGdMb.1128$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com, Angelo Castellano posting at snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote on 1/11/04 7:07 AM:

Reply to
Reyd Dorakeen

put your ring on a toe while your in the shop, your wearing, its hard to lose, and unless your wearing sandals by the time its a problem your foot is hurting anyways

in article ValMb.72526$Fg.20772@lakeread01, CP at snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote on

1/11/04 3:46 PM:

Reply to
Reyd Dorakeen

"As good as a 20-year-old" really doesn't mean anything. When I was 20 I already had tinnitus.

What gets me are those kids cruising with 300+ amps pushing out bass in the confines of a shut up car. You know the ones -- the ones you can hear over your running table saw when they drive by. Can you imagine their hearing when they start griping about their kids' bad habits??

Reply to
Jim K

Mine started the year before I was 20.

I don't get upset out of consideration for the little turds who drive those things. But my youngest did tell me some time ago that a lot of them drive with ear plugs in.

Makes sense to them, I guess. I've got a small subwoofer on this computer that I hardly ever use. It is louder downstairs, thgouh the floor, than it is here,

3' away. Not an essential ingredient. I'd probably never use it if I hadn't paid extra for it for some reason I no longer recall.

Charlie Self If God had wanted me to touch my toes he would have put them higher on my body.

Charlie Self

I've had tinnitus so long I don't remember not having it. Probably my late teens or early twenties. It's just gotten much worse lately.

Does the sound of your own voice make your ears ring? Sometimes mine does.

Bought a set of Leight muffs last week. 31 dB noise reduction. Though I have a box of plugs here I find it inconvenient when I may run a machine once or twice an hour. Plugs in, plugs out, plugs in ..... irritates the hell out of my ears.

Plus the muff keeps my ears nice and warm when it gets below freezing.

Reply to
Mark

Reply to
Nancy A. Kroes