hearing loss

The suggested method direct from Red Cross First Aid training: Get a spool of floss- pass about 12" under the ring from finger tip towards wrist. Begin wrapping the finger with floss- make it tight enough to compress the skin- spiral up the finger under the ring- tight close-together coils of floss. Keep going up until you've wrapped to the center of the 2 joints. DO NOT OVERLAP THE WRAPPINGS. When this is done, grasp the 12" end hanging from the bottom of the ring and slowly begin unwrapping by using the ring as a lever- the bottom edge of the floss should always be touching the ring bottom. The ring will slowly spiral off the finger.

Works every time (yes, I have used this method more than once) except if the ring is crushed.

/vic Then again, if I ever find the SOB that stole my dad's rings, fingers are only the first thing I'll be clipping off.

Reply to
Victor Radin

Here's another one: never wear rings if you work around high current DC supplies. Apparently some of the early IBM mainframes had multi-hundred amp 5V supplies where the terminals were closely spaced which lead non-zero numbers of tech's with ring fingers that were blown off when the ring closed the circuit. In this case no ring was left to be removed. There are still some systems used in various particle and nuclear physics experiments that have a similar feature

300A @ 5V supplies with the terminals spaced about 1cm apart -- scary.

It's easier to take the ring off for WW before the accident than after. That act, however, does not recuse one from being careful.

hex

-30-

Reply to
hex

I still have the nick in my wedding ring that almost lost me a finger. Got it while surfing (actually, while "trying" to surf) wthout a leash on the board. Had a wipeout, grabbed for the board, and a fin caught my ring. Since theboard & I were going in opposite directions with a few tons of seawater pushing, it was quite painful.

Reply to
Frankie

Safety glasses still let stuff get in your eyes, in my experience. I caught a rock in the eye while weed eating. Went right up at just the right angle to slip under the glasses and wing me in the eye. Scratched my cornea.

There was nothing inappropriate about the glasses I was wearing, and the opthamologist didn't bless me out for poor safety practices. It's just that they don't really work that well. Goggles are much better at keeping stuff out, but they fog so bad you might as well just put on blinders, and stuff can still make it through the little holes.

Along with my lathe, I got one of those $11 full face shield thingies. I LOVE it. Why have I been wearing safey glasses all these years? Safety glasses SUCK.

Sure, stuff could still get under this too, but it's a lot less likely.

I've got two so far. One for me, one for one of the kids. I want to pick up two more, so I can have one dedicated for weed eating, and one for the other rug rat. They're awesome, and quite reasonably priced IMHO.

I was convinced of this the first time a piece came apart and bounced harmlessly off of the piece of clear plastic in front of my mouth full of expensive-to-replace teeth. :)

Reply to
Silvan
[...]

but not *so* easy to touch, and at least here at CERN you are supposed to add a wrning sign "Danger, extra low voltage". But if you consider the dangers of an ordinary power cable: If you touch a loose end with your bare finger you will get a small burn (maybe) and jerk it away, but the ring might cause the short-circuit current to flow, which can easily reach a few thousand amps before the breaker kicks in.

Much better not to wear any rings or oher jewelry at all, since danger lurks everywhere and bites often when least expected, and the jewelry never helps you: If you are beautiful by yourself it only distracts, if not it only makes you attractive to thieves...

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

I used to work in telephone exchanges. Power was supplied at 50V, through huge copper bus bars, made from 1" thick copper, either 6" or

12"high. They weren't insulated and they were only an inch or so apart.

-- Do whales have krillfiles ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We attended college in Spokane, WA. His wife attended college in Denver, CO (IIRC). Guys lived on the ground floor, girls on the second floor. Beyond all that I really don't have any idea what was going on... ;-)

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Silvan,

That is why my glasses (to see) have polycarbonate lenses just in case. My son (rug rat) also has polycarbonate lenses in his glasses. Adds very little to the cost of the glasses, but worth it.

Andy

Reply to
Andy H.