OT? Paying money to French Bank a/c

I want to pay about £60 into the French bank account of a company with which I wish to do business.

Is there any easy way I can do this online? (I doubt that the supplier takes paypal.)

None of the internet banking a/cs that I have let you transfer money outside the UK.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Internet banking seems to be very lacking in this respect...

I came across this problem twice recently. There seemed to be only two solutions...

  1. Walk into your bank and get them to transfer the funds, but this usually costs £18 per transefer.
  2. Go along to the Post Office and buy the equivalent amount of Euros you need and simply risk posting this cash. This will cost you nothing but the cost of the envelope and stamp.

I used method 1 to tranfer £87 into a German account, which was an expensive way to do it. I later had to get US dollers into two accounts and decided to risk sending dollar bills in the post instead (method

2). Both arrived in the US without problems.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Alliance and Leicester does, but charges UKP 7.50 for it :( and then only to another organisation that is a member of the Eurogiro network.

Have you asked the company whether they take credit card payments over the phone? Probably the easiest method...

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Get one which does.

I bank with HSBC and also with First Direct (yes I KNOW it's part of the same organisation) and I bank on-line with both of them. I can send and receive money all round the world.There is a charge (as well as the conversion) for whoever sends the money but it's convenient. I had £50 from USA yesterday.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:16:21 +0100, "Mary Fisher" squeezed out the following:

Yup. First Direct will do money transfers and international bankers drafts, for a tenner IIRC (which I usually don't).

Reply to
Colin Irvine

Does Paypal or Nochex do it?

David

Reply to
David Hearn

If you will be doing business with them regularly then open a Euro account. Don't know if there are any UK based Internet ones but I expect there are ones based in Channel Islands.

Reply to
Mike

I've never been charged as much as that.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Never heard of Nochex (must look it up) but the payee has to have a paypal account for that to work.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Doh... helps to read the question fully... sorry

Reply to
David Hearn

Weird, isn't it?

For a similar amount I simply got some Euros and posted them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Michael Chare" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

When news.individual.net started charging recently, I ended up using BT Click & Pay - maybe worth looking at that route?

Reply to
Rod

the wrap, and check out Article 3

I believe the banks like to try charging, although this might give you a=20 get-out clause (search uk.legal for more info though, I think I spotted=20 this link in there first) - I think you can force them to do it free=20 despite their attempts to charge.

Pointing out specific EU acts might help you sway their opinion of the=20 law under which they must now operate...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

No.

This has been done to death several times in uk.finance and there is simply no reasonably priced way to do it.

Best send cash or travellers cheques.

Reply to
usenet

spotted

It may be worth quoting the regulation, but the key thing here is that the regulation harmonises pricing between cross border and the corresponding domestic equivalent. Anyone wanting to take advantage of this will need to ask the bank how much it would cost to make a BACS payment in Euro to another account situated in the UK. You will then be able to get the payment done to an account in France for the same amount. Your will also need to be able to quote the IBAN & BIC(google these for a definition) of the person you are paying.

Of course one of the real issues here is the OP's original request to do this online, as I am not sure that many banks will offer the capability to make online payments into Europe.

You might want to look at

This appears to fit the bill and is free for the sender. You may need to agree with the beneficary to pay a slightly higher amount to cover this.

Reply to
deckertim

But this is a transaction in sterling at the point that it is initiated ...

Plus IIRC, this applies only to countries using the euro as their currency.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Riocreux

This doesn't say the transfer is free. It says that (for example) Fortis bank in Belgium can only charge me the same for sending Euros to Spain as they charge for sending Euros to another Belgian bank account. And Belgian banks charge for just about everything, so I have to pay in both cases.

In your case, if, say, HSBC charge £100 for sending Euros from your account to mine in the UK, they are allowed to charge you £100 for sending Euros to me in Belgium. BUT if HSBC don';t charge for Euro transfers in the UK, then they have to do EU-wide transfers for free.

However, the receiving bank might charge you when they get the money, just like my Belgian bank does!

rgds A.

Reply to
AM

AFAIK the bank is entitled to charge you for a credit to your account. But they certainly shouldn't charge you any more simply because this comes from the UK or another European country, especially if the payment is for eur 12,500 or less. They also should not deduct any money from the transfer amount (ie. the charge should be raised separately)

Reply to
deckertim

This type of issue was a constant problem for me, when I was paid in Swiss Francs .....

Your cheepest safest solution is to pay by credit card. Very occasionally the foreign bank will have a branch in the UK, this can help if its neerby.

The standard international tranfer is expensive, not so bad if you are shifting 10 grand and paying a tenner, but a rip off to transfer 60 quid. You also have options of sending X Euros, and paying to convert the meny, or sending 60 quid and letting the receiver pay.

If you have a bank acount with UBS, there internet banking system lets you do it, but then you need quater of a million swiss francs or a swiss residence permit to open the account...

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Most banks will open "curreny" accounts, if you have enough to open it with. Transfering meny between curancies costs.

Rick

Reply to
Rick