Dual drill

I've not seen these before, but my daughter just called me to watch a wonderful (yeah right) presentation on one of the shopping channels. It was an 18v cordless drill, but it had two chucks and you could swivel the head to select which chuck you wanted. One of the ideas being that you had one chuck loaded with a drill, and the other a screwdriver bit. Thought it sounded quite a reasonable idea. £79. I'm not thinking of getting one, but just wondered what you lot thought.

Reply to
Grumps

£40 will get you a decent drill. May as a well get two £40 drills with two chargers and batteries. Pick one up when you want it. No contest, two it is.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Although I already have two drills, I think the point is that with this dual drill you don't need to carry two. Haven't I seen other postings from you that suggest two is better than one? On the topic of combis IIRC.

Reply to
Grumps

Sir,

I will have you know a combi is not a drill.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Err, think you will find it is...

i.e Combi drill Vs Drill/Driver

To the OP, 80 quid would actually by a decent drill driver and a magnetic bit holder. Will probably do any job a whole lot better than going for a "gimmick" drill.

Reply to
John Rumm

These have been on German TV shopping channels

was posted here a couple of months ago. UK is just a bit retarded.

Rusty

Reply to
Rusty

Think about it. 18v cordless. So you will be running the battery flat in half the time. Screwdriving with a drill sucks power out of the battery like nothing else.

Forget it. The term "gimmick" comes to mind. If you really need the ability for two different drill heads then the answer is simple - buy two drills.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

And hope the one you aren't using stays on the top step of the ladder etc?

I say the presentation (or part of it) just now and it looks like a good *idea*.

Not sure if the 80 get's you a good drill though but I'm sure it will catch on and I'm sure you will all buy one once your favourite brand makes it ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Pilot drill .. wizz done, clearance drill .. oh I've left it at the bottom of the ladder ...

Reply to
T i m

Probably much easier and cheaper to buy two separate drills.

Reply to
usenet

I don't like the look of these at all. Get a couple of cheapies, you will get four batteries, two crargers, two drill-drivers...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Get one (or two) of those leather posing pouches / holsters for the drill then you wont have a problem.

Or failing that go for the technique your mum used to stop you losing your mittens - a string up one arm and down the other, tied to a drill at each end ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

hmmm, do you feel another piece of DrIvel art coming on???

Reply to
RichardS

I think all those who suggest buying two drills miss the whole point of=20 this tool. You don't NEED two drills when you have it, and you can keep=20 the drill bit in one chuck and the screwdriver bit in the other chuck=20 with presumably a quick changeover.

Can't comment on the actual tool but the concept is certainlt novel if a=20 little overkill.

As for the comment that driving screws 'sucks the power out of the=20 drill' I am totally lost for words.

--=20 Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

"Y M C A" .. ;-)

Now THAT might work ..;-) (not lost the gloves since!)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m