OT: Parasitic car battery drain

Measured 40mA (0.04A) with supposedly everything off and settled.
Is this fairly normal or do I need to start pulling fuses?
--
AnthonyL

AnthonyL explained on 22/04/2017 :

My car = 18mA with an occasional brief pulse up to 30mA, so not that far out.
On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 21:15:57 +0100, Harry Bloomfield

How do you measure that? Do you have something that will log the readings, or are you using a multimeter and Mk1 eyeball?
I'd like to measure my car's quiescent current, but the battery is in the boot and leaving the boot open may prevent the ECU going to sleep.
I was considering putting together an arduino based current sensor that logs to an SD card using something like this INA219 to do the current sensing:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/904
But if someone has got an off-the-shelf solution, I'd be interested to hear about it.
Caecilius wrote on 23/04/2017 :

I was having flat battery issues, so I wired my AVO 8 across (in parallel with) the main bus-bar link. That way I was able to let the car settle to sleep, then disconnect a convenient bolt connecting the bus-bar to the main fuse panel.
Caecilius wrote:

    Easily done with a storage scope and load resistor.

I tried to measure the quiescent current on my old Sierra, but you had to be careful, since switching it off pulled enough current to blow the 2A fuse in my ammeter.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 40th day of Discord in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

Easy way is to get one of those battery disconnect devices. It fits between the battery ground terminal and the ground lead. You unscrew a knob to break the circuit. So you can connect your DVM across it, wait until things settle, then unscrew the knob.
--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 12:23:01 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

I had this very problem on an Austin Healey Sprite and after much multimeter investigating I found that the horn was draining the battery. I can't remeber the current draw but it was very small but enought to prevent starting after a weeks standing idle in cold weather. I disconnected the horn, ran the car to charge the battery, left it for a week and it started no problem. A replacement horn from the scrap yard was then installed and the car continued to perform as it should for ages afterwards. Mind you, no electronics involved in that car, but no anti-lock brakes either. - Mike
On 4/24/2017 5:09 PM, Mike wrote:

A mate of mine had the same problem with a (simple, old fashioned) radio. Taking 50 mA or so even when switched off.

Fairly normal.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 39th day of Discord in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
AnthonyL wrote:

    Time to buy a Lidl charger for permanent connection, if the car is not used frequently.
Its probably a grotty ford with one of them there odd batteries and so called intelligent charging from the alternator. Most people I know seem to give up on the intelligent bit! Brian
--
----- -

Normal.
--
*I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

On Saturday, 22 April 2017 21:00:05 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:

40mA from a 40Ah battery = 1000 hours = 40 days from full to flat.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

    Problem is that charging systems are not designed to give a full battery, so a quarter of the capacity is more likely after a couple of years. My car cannot be left for more than 21 days according to the manufacturer. SILs Yaris claps out after 14 days.
On 23/04/2017 09:20, Capitol wrote:

That must be why people buy those 1w solar chargers.

Remember being told one car maker wouldn't entertain a battery claim if the car was left unused for more than 3 weeks.
--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up *

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 11:06:28 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

This is a 2009 Mazda 2, fairly unsophisticated I think. Last year battery was dead flat after holiday, put it down to the age of the battery but same again this year. Jumpered to start and went on 100mile run next day. Both events in Feb and very little if any use in 6 weeks but just got round to measuring. So yes 40 days if battery was full sounds about right. The 1.8 petrol Focus had no such problem though - presumably larger capacity.
Not seeing a very good solution to this. Solar trickle charger?
--
AnthonyL

Disconnect the battery when you go on holiday.
--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

    With the battery disconnected I've left a car for up to 12 months without problems.