OT: Online Accounts

And it can run on mobile phones as well so you don't have to carry around a usb stick, or worry plugging a usb stick into an office PC where the port is disabled. I use dropbox to keep it synchronised between machines.

Matt

Reply to
matthelliwell

It is with Nationwide and Smile.

Reply to
chris French

Windoze, yes, but wifi? It's over an https connection ...

Reply to
John Stumbles

Coventry BS, as well as typing 3 characters (not drop down menu) from your password give you a grid card from which you must enter the numbers at 3 positions. A bit like playing battleships.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Man at B&Q :

ING Direct require you to enter three specified characters from your PIN, and your memorable date. I say "enter" but what you're given is an on-screen numeric keypad to click with the mouse. For extra entertainment value the ten buttons have been swapped around at random.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In message , Mike Barnes writes

NHS.net - the NHS email system uses an on screen keyboard as well.

The password is in two parts, IIRC one entered using the machine keyboard and one entered using the mouse and an on screen keyboard

Reply to
chris French

Is that the same wonderful system my missus has to use... she gets emailed huge PDF files which she's expected to print out before meetings, only the system doesn't let her open attachments to print them out, each page of the document has to be laboriously opened in a browser and printed separately. Takes for ever...

Reply to
Lobster

Yes that's a good plan. Many thanks everyone for the pointers.

As if online security wasn't enough I've just noticed that the PO is tied to the bank of Ireland ;-)

Rob

Reply to
Rob

That reminds me of

Mark

Sorry to join in late but that's the second comment about wifi. Why is wifi so bad in this case? Is it only a problem if it isn't encrypted or has the encryption been compromised?

Reply to
Fred

In article , Fred scribeth thus

Wi-fi is usually set to WEP encryption which is well not that secure. Newer and stronger versions such as WPA2 and AES TIPK are much better but very few people seem to be able to set 'em up!..

Thats of course assuming that a hacker is in wireless range of your wi-fi point of course!...

Reply to
tony sayer

That may once have been true, but not for a while now.

So, a hacker can listen to your wifi. What are they going to do with the SSL stream between the browser and server?

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , tony sayer writes

I'm not sure that they are 'usually' set to WEP nowadays. AFAICR my Mums Freeserve (as it was then) came setup with a WPA key, ditto my FIL's Tiscali one. Same for out )2 router, but I can't remember.

Even then surely the link twixt browser and bank server is using https and is encrypted anyway.

Hanging around outside someones house to hack into their wifi on the off chance you might be able to get their banking details or somesuch doesn't seem a very fruitful way of going about things when you can sit in the warm and send out endless numbers of Trojan laden emails.

This all just seems to be another area where you need to consider the risks and manage them. Yep ok, running windows is a bit of a risk, you might get infected with a virus and you details might be captured. but you can maange that risk to a large extent.

But using you card in an ATM or in your local garage , or in a restaurant is also a risk . And while I'm not aware of anyone personally who has their bank login details compromised, a number of friends and family have had their cards details compromised in some way. at least some cases certainly not because of internet use.

Reply to
chris French

But https uses TLS/SSL which in turn can select less secure algorithms.

But I agree that an actual successful attack is very unlikely.

I know many people who have had cards skimmed or their credit card compromised and their accounts were subsequently used fraudulently (this includes myself). None of them had a their internet login details captured.

Reply to
Mark

Load netstumbler on your laptop have a drive around your area .. enjoy;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , chris French wrote

I can currently "see" 10 wireless networks local to me

1 is totally unsecured 2 are WAP2 All the others are WARP
Reply to
Alan

Alan gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

BT OpenZone, by any chance? With another BT-named network with exactly the same strength?

Reply to
Adrian

WARP?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , Alan scribeth thus

Must be fast ones then;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

If they can get a cleverly crafted webpage to access your router (how many are not 192.168.0.1?) and you've left the admin password on factory setting (Rupert's empire uses the highly secure "sky" as the router password) then they could make your router (which will be the DHCP server for 99% of home users) allocate your PC a hooky DNS server, which could divert

OK, not a WiFi specific hack ...

Reply to
Andy Burns