OT: offline maps for android?

Last year I moved from an N95 (with google maps downloaded for most of Europe) to an HTC Desire. The Desire is great, but on-demand map download is always tedious, doesn't work in many locations, and pretty expensive in others. Is there any way to make street mapping available off-line without having to preload relevant tiles for specific trips?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

source software, with open source maps tiled for each country, and smaller ones for local areas. You can get most of Europe on a 2 Gig card.

I don't know what the maps are like, though, as my mobile runs WM 6.5.

There is also Mapfactor's Navigator Free, which runs in Windows Mobile, and uses the Open Street Map mapping. It's not the best, but it's free in both senses.

Reply to
John Williamson

I use Mapdroyd on my HTC Wildfire, this uses vector based maps rather than tiles; I download any maps I need to my memory card via WiFi and leave 3G data switched off on the phone.

airsmoothed

NoSpam :

Well in a sense the maps *have* to be pre-loaded if they're to be available offline. :-) And there's not room for all of them on your memory card. :-(

FYI I have some OS 1:25000 maps pre-loaded into my HTC Legend and an application that indicates my location using GPS. It's possible to do that for any or all of Britain, if you're prepared to take the trouble, for a total outlay of £10.

However it sounds to me as if what you're looking for is an easy way to cache the street maps you can get online. I did find some discussion of that problem while researching my own requirements using Google, but as that wasn't what I was looking for I didn't take much notice. Though I do remember the name "Open Street Map" and that might be worth a look.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I'm looking for a way to pre-load countries, rather than specific tiles

- it seems that mapdroyd/navdroid is probably the way forward.

I use viewranger for 1:50000 OS maps but haven't found 1:25000 maps at a sensible price - any suggestions?

Reply to
NoSpam

Reply to
NoSpam

andnav is interesting but it seems to be tile-based whereas mapdroyd is vector - ISTM that zooming should be better with a vector-based solution so I'll have a play with mapdroyd

Reply to
NoSpam

Those maps are inevitably expensive because of the OS's pricing structure. There are solutions if you're prepared to take a little trouble - e-mail me for info if required.

Reply to
Mike Barnes