lost ring; comparison of maps

Story on As It Happens was about a woman who, around 1970, lost her boyfriend's class ring, which he gave her 3 months after his graduation, by leaving it in the washroom at the department store in Portland Maine (even though she went back right away and no one else was in there). Married him, married for 50 years, and it was returned to her about 57 years later by someone who found it with a metal detector 8" underground in a Finnish forest. Showed signs of wear, chipped stones, but his highschool and his initials, no doubt that it was his.

-----------------

I decided to compare the various map programs, from the list you get when you click on a proper array of latitude and longitude, as you will find for almost every geographical entry in Wikipedia. Using a change to a nearby intersection as a benchmark.

Not much of a benchmark, because none of them show the change to the intersection, little islands which were put in last May.

There are of course other differences not listed, how much it zooms, etc.

Wikimapia says Can't display google maps here. For development purposes only and it's quite dark but shows 2 cars parked at the intersection, same as google maps. Dated 2020

Google shows 2 cars parked, dated 2020, same as wikimapia. My favorite map.

Yandex shows no cars, dated 2018 (and 2012 fwiw)

Zoom earth shows no cars parked but one driving, It says Explore Historical Aerial Images, but the only one I can get is dated Jul-Aug

2014 so it seems this and Bing are using 6 year old images. It says Zoom earth from Microsoft Bing maps.

Bing shows no cars parked, one diving, in the same exact position as Zoom earth. c. 2020

Here.com shows 4 parked cars, 2020, same image as Acme, not quite as clear but street numbers given for every location. A big convenience.

Acme showed 4 cars, same as Here, a trifle more clear.

Mapquest shows no parked cars, dated 2020. c / Tomtom.

Copernix.io shows no parked cars, and shows from an angle after zooming in a certain amount. dated 2020, USGS

Geonames would display a nearby area but I couldn't get it to this intersection. c 1987-2018

So there are 4, maybe as many as 7 different images, and the 2020 dates don't mean anything.

Reply to
micky