OT: "Normal everyday noise"

Whilst not a recommended solution (and these days you Dad could have been done for something, especially given it wasn't even his dog etc) it can work with the right dogs / situation.

We (well Mum) is looking after a stray Lurcher atm and he loves to play (especially with other dogs) but is quite rough (the vet thinks he's only 12-15 months old so that could be part of it). He's about twice the size of daughters terrier but the terrier older (~6) and whilst he will join in and have a play, he doesn't like it when it get's too rough and will tell the lurcher in no uncertain terms when he his. The problem' is that the Lurcher has a short memory and will dive in again a few mins later. ;-(

The Lurcher has a girlfriend over the park who is his size but a bit heavier and so isn't overpowered / intimidated by him and so the play is much more balanced. ;-)

When my stepdaughter (39) died a year ago she left a Cavashon. She would bark on hearing any noise outside and whilst it wasn't that loud (compared to the terrier especially) she had to get at least 5 barks in per noise, no matter what you did to stop her (stubborn little moo). Even if you gently held her muzzle shut after the first one, you would still get the muffled noses, till she had done all 5. ;-)

After a good few months we came across (by complete chance) a couple who were had been looking for a dog (specifically a Cavashon) for some months and long / short (after several house visits, group dog walks and her staying with them for a couple of trial days etc) they took her on and she's now very happy in a large bungalow (rather than a flat) with a big back garden. He was happy that their holiday was cancelled as he didn't want to leave the dog (she was coming back to us for a fortnight). She sill does her funny back thing if she hears a noise but they are very happy about that as it's often a warning that there is someone approaching the house or a fox in the back garden. ;-)

Daughters dog knows we have arrived as he recognises the CV joint clicks on out Meriva and lets out a muffled 'woof'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

As a lad I took the baffles out of my moped exhaust but only for one trip, then I put them back again as it was far too loud / annoying, even for me!

I did drop the hint to a friend / neighbour that the noise from the aftermarket pipes he fitted to his fairly big bike rattled our windows and *did* wake us up no matter how gently he tried to ride it off in the morning (and that if it affected us it was bound to impact others ... and did he want to get a bad rep ..?). He sold the bike. ;-)

I like that fact that all our bikes run stock exhausts (or SS replacements for) and that all the work that the manufacturers went to making the exhaust match the engine and conform to the regs wasn't thrown away by fitting something that wasn't.

The kitcar came with the factory universal stainless steel exhaust but again, after we first built it that only stayed on as long as it took to buy a 'sock' stainless MKII Escort exhaust, shorten and fit it.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If I was king there would be no dogs anywhere in my glorious realm. Nasty, smelly, noisy, aggressive, shitty things. Tim W

Reply to
TimW

There would be no golf either, but that's another subject. TW

Reply to
TimW

Dog owners in general seem to be in a world of their own relating to concerns of non-dog owners.

My wife totally dislikes dogs. She doesn't like them barking at her, running up to her and trying to lick and all the owner can say is "Oh he/she's a lovely dog, wouldnt hurt a fly". One such owner's dog looked the worse for wear and I asked what had happened. Well on two separate occasions he'd been in the park and had his dog attacked by another one.

Opposite neighbour has a little white terrier something or other. The gate is inset with the house one side and the garage the other so it makes a nice expanding horn which points directly at our kitchen so when this terrier yaps we get the full volume. Previous owners were doggy people (canine I mean). Neighbour asked if her dog bothered us and I said it was a bit loud at times. "Oh, well he's always been a barker" she responded.

Do those high pitched whistles work?

Another elderly womand nearby takes two largish dogs for a walk. Well one of them goes mad when it sees a cyclist and twice it's made a run for me, with her shouting "No No", it shouting "Whoof whoof" and straining at the leash dragging her along. I've wondered whether her shouting is interpreted by the dog as support for its barking.

Then there's the dog pooh. Shouldn't be any but my god if someone wanted to invent a vile smelling sticky unremovable goo that gets into every crevasse of ones soles they've been beaten to it by nature.

Reply to
AnthonyL

It's a sample of the owner's 'brain' - (dog) shit-fer-brains. Disclaimer: I was brought up with alsations (before the change to German sheperd, to protect the guilty) and like dogs in general, not frightened by them and can defend myself if needs be - although advancing age and bigger dogs might spell defeat some day!

Reply to
PeterC

Don't worry. I'll be Emperor of the Universe by oooh lessee now, next Tuesday fortnight. After that dogs will be unable to bark or shit.

Reply to
Tim Streater

They're still Alsatians, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The country is run by poodles anyway.

Dogs belong in the country. Not in suburbia or towns

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"In the English language, the breed's officially recognized name is German Shepherd Dog (GSD). The breed was officially known as the Alsatian in the UK from after the First World War until 1977 when its name was changed back to German Shepherd."

wiki

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
<snip>

Well, dogs still need to poo and their responsible owners will deal with it. We have just got in from a 5 mile walk with the two dogs and all the dog poo bins were pretty full (and not all of general litter, a problem typically cause by non dog-owners).

Yes, by cats.

Now, if you wanted to pin down a truly anti-social person then you wouldn't have to look much further than the 'owner' (and they will soon shout when you take their pet for a 10 mile one-way trip ... but stay quiet when you try to hold them responsible for any damage or fouling done by *their* pet) of an outdoor cat. Not only do they dump in other peoples fenced off gardens, kids sand pits and peoples vegetable plots but the owner couldn't seem to GAS that it does (or they wouldn't let it out to do so).

Public places are one thing and suffer the consequences of all sorts of anti-social people (litter / fly tipping, dog / cat fouling, graffiti etc), you would hope there would be some refuge from all of that in your own back garden. Not from cats though, without suitable anti-cat solutions.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Dogs often bark more when their owner isn't at home.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They were called German Shepherds until WW1, then became, in this couuntry, 'Alsations'. The original name is making a comeback since we are no longer at war with Germany ( I think).

Reply to
charles

I have some friends whose dog died last year, but when you operate the door bell push - a dog barks.

Reply to
charles

But the owners just think the dog starts barking to greet them on their return (to be fair it does change from a bored bark to an excited bark when their car draws up).

Reply to
Andy Burns

A pal had a dog which went bananas when the doorbell rang. But only when the owners were in. Ring the bell with only the dog in and it kept quiet. Waste of space as a guard dog. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe not. Match bite mark to dog denistry...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In part the change was to try to lose the bad reputation that the breed had gained. To get the stance for shows - sloping hindquarters - there was some inbreeding. We bred ours to be strong and trained them for the stance, helped by suitable exercise. In the '50s we had the biggest registered Alsation in the UK - the Kennel club wrote to check. I used to write out the pedigrees by hand (of course) - one mistake, start again. Some breeders that my parents knew were using GS rather than Alsation even then - they tended to be the ones that had indulged in bad breeding, then others followed to avoid stigma.

Reply to
PeterC

I piss on this pronouncement from a great height.

Reply to
Tim Streater

barking is a dogs version of Twitter.

Reply to