Ants!

Hi from a newbie! The subject line says it all really. I have ants in the lounge and kitchen, coming in from the garden. Fourtunately those rooms have no carpet, but laminate floors, so they're easy to clean. My problem is, I have two young inquisitive toddler daughters and also a cat, so I cannot use chemical ant-killers. Last year I sprinkled salt and that seemed to work, this year it is not making any difference. Someone suggested cleaning the affected areas with vinegar, that did the trick for about a day but now they're back. So, can anyone suggest a 'natural' remedy to get rid of those annoying, uninvited ants?

Thanking you muchly, Victoria (London)

Reply to
Vicky =^,,^= cat

Hi Vicky

Powdered Cloves is a natural ant repellant. Sprinkled behind things out of toddlers reach, like behind baseboards, behind counters, keeps most species of ants away.

Boric Acid and Sugar mixtures allow ants to eat and go back to their nest to share the treat. Kill's m dead! It can be put outside anywhere you see ant trails. It does dry up in a day and only takes a couple of drops here and there. Lowe's Hardware sells Terro Ant Killer at 100% markup for $1.97, at WalMart it's EVERYDAY LOW GREATLY SLASHED PRICE is $3.98 for the same size bottle, over 300% markup WOW.

TTUL Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

She's in London

Reply to
Sweep

snipped-for-privacy@whoever.com (Sweep) verbositized:

As noted by your thread, she's NOT the only one who reads the newsgroup messages!

Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Actually that's a 200 % mark up as it is almost exactly twice the price.

Reply to
Baroness Benachi

:P

Reply to
Sweep

Er... if it matters, since he said it was marked up 100% at $1.97, then $3.98 *would* in fact be a 300% markup.

I think his points were that 1) WalMart ain't such a deal, and 2) It's bunches cheaper to mix it yourself.

Myself, since I (also) have cats, I bought some flea powder that's intended for use ON the cats. In these far more civilized days of products like Advantage, I can't imagine why anyone would use flea powder on a cat, but it works just great to sprinkle at the ant entry points. (Since it's intended for use ON the cat, presumably if one of the cats manages to track through it and ingest a little it won't be as bad as other insecticides. Of course I *don't* buy Hartz brand, since they have such a terrible track record with their on-pet flea treatments killing the pets rather than the fleas.)

Haven't noticed any flea powder meant for use ON toddlers yet, though, so I can't help you there.

-- Michelle

Feeding a Stray? Please Neuter or Spay!

Reply to
Michelle in WA state

"Baroness Benachi" verbositized:

Exactly twice the price is 100% markup! Common retail markup.

A 98 cent cost item plus inbound shipping marked up to $3.98 is a 300% markup $0.98 + 300% ($2.94) + $0.06 eaches shipping = $3.98

TTUL Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Michelle

Since you brought up Hartz, not knocking them per-se as I buy a lot of their things. But their quality control on blended formulations leaves MUCH to be desired.

I have tested a couple of their products and the active ingredient varied so far from what it was supposed to be (to the lesser side), where if the directions said to use 1 ounce to get that concentration in or on the animal, it would take 12 ounces or 3 whole 4 ounce bottles full to get the required working dosage.

They are normally well UNDER what the bottle specifications say is in the product! This is WHY it never works for most people.

TTUL Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

By the way gang, I wasn't knocking WalMart, my car automatically turns into WalMart. Every time I try to pass the place, it turns in on it's own.

The point of my addition about pricing was just to remind folks that almost all retailers prices are based on what the market will bear. I made a post several months ago comparing a few stores and WalMart was consistently higher than local competition on numerous everyday things.

Most big chains sell only lead items and mark them way down, for peripheral items you are forced to shop elsewhere. But what peripheral items the large chains do sell, they are quite often priced at double the suggested (or common) retail price.

In other words, KNOW YOUR PRICES! Buy lead items at the chains Buy peripheral items at and support your local shops.

TTUL Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

An OT follow-up, but what the heck :-)

We're also confirmed Walmart shoppers, and I have noticed a few trends... When something we buy a lot of at Walmart due to a substantially lower price seems to be a good seller for Walmart, they raise the price. We've noticed this trend with several items, and when the price climbs we stop buying the items. Eventually the price will lower again, but will be higher than it originally had been.

I also have noted that prices vary between Walmart stores. Our SuperCenter has higher prices on the everyday household items I purchase than the regular Walmart across town. Last time I'd looked, my Downy fabric softener was $2.12 higher at the Supercenter.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Hi Nan

I have found that too!

And also, Sam's Club, which is a membership store, is often priced a lot higher than WalMart.

What irks me the most about WalMart (and I do realize all stores have sales and come-on items). But when they put up the sign that reads "Everyday Low Price" the price should not jump the next day to 50% more than the preceeding day. It's NOT their "Everyday" price if it bounces up and down like that!

My late wife was so price savvy and we had an exact inventory of items we purchased that she kept as a permanent item on her checklist and would take the list with her to the stores and keep it updated.

I used to complain a little about her hitting 5 or 6 different stores and burning up 5 bucks of gas to save a penny, but she really wasn't that bad, it just seemed that way. She had different routes for different items and actually rarely went out of her way.

Just to goad me, she would make a list for me of the prices at the local store and then show me what she paid for the same items following her normal route. These savings often amounted to over 50 bucks each shopping trip or around 3 grand a year, not counting the coupon savings discounts.

But we also lived in an area where within 5 miles any direction, there were several major shopping areas of like kind stores. Where I live now, I have yet to find any stores that stock some of the things I was accustomed to where I used to live.

I asked one of the largest grocers here in town why they don't carry about 6 things I keep on my look out list. They said they just don't sell here! So I asked, how would you know, according to your home office, you have NEVER carried any of them, and no other store in a 50 mile radius does either. I'm sure I'm not the only person in a town of 1/4 million people that would like these things stocked by somebody.

Off my soapbox!

TTUL Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

We visited Sam's Club once, on a free pass. I just wasn't impressed enough to think it would be worth shopping there on a regular basis. I don't like really BIG stores.

I've seen that as well, and I agree with you.

I used to be able to shop like that. Before I had small children

I've had better luck with smaller stores being willing to special order things for me.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

x-no-archive: yes

I agree. I have noticed that it frequently is NOT worth driving to another store to get a few things I think will be cheaper, so I usually get my stuff in my local supermarket. I also believe in supporting/shopping at my local store. I was in Home Depot yesterday with composted manure, grass seed and clippers in my cart. I got so frustrated waiting in line I left without checking out. I will go to my local True Value today and get the stuff. Probably more expensive but a lot less frustrating.

Reply to
BonnieJean

Hi Bonnie

In the long run it may be less expensive!

I'll pass on the manure, but you probably got a higher quality slower growing more hardy grass seed blend with a higher germination rate and a better grade of clippers that will last years longer from your local store. And as you pointed out, with a whole lot less aggrivation!

Last spring I bought a 50 lb bag of grass seed from WalMart (their last bag of that blend) and picked up a second bag (similar blend) from our local hardware to finish up the rest of the yard.

The part of the yard done with the WalMart grass seed continued to need mowed once a week, while the local bag required cutting every other week. On the surface this may seem like the WalMart seed was faster growing, it was, but the fast growing 'shade' grass to protect the slower growing quality grass until it takes hold kept growing and didn't allow the slower growing to gain a proper foothold.

As we neared the end of the summer, the part of the yard planted with the local hardware stores grass seed, was completely of the kind of grass desired and most of the shade seed was now gone. That part of the yard looked great! The WalMart seed was still putting out the shade grass and very little of the desired grass was seen.

After the first few freezes, it was evident that the hardware seed did it's thing, then by the following spring, this spring, the side of the yard done with the hardware store grass seed is exactly how I wanted it. The WalMart side is very sparse of the desired grass, but it is there and the shade grass (which is an annual grass) is no longer present.

I spent more time than I should have, having to cut every week instead of every other week, and still did not end up with the lawn I wanted after the first year.

So there is more than meets the eye in many products. The price may be higher, but the quality is also much higher, from your local suppliers.

TTUL Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

[...]

Mr. Deutschmann: What makes you think it was *your* soapbox?

Nan: Thank you for emailing me about Mr. Deutchmann's appalling "netiquette". If AHC were able to pay me as much as other groups, I could afford to monitor AHC more closely. As it is, I must depend on readers like you to alert me to problems.

Reply to
Marcia Pease

I wondered where you'd gone ;-)

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Marcia Pease verbositized:

Dear Marcey

I don't know who died and made you GOD, but USENET newsgroups are open unmoderated forums. My netiquette is far greater than yours and there is NOTHING appalling about it!

You jump in here, make a demeaning remark, without an explanation and claim I am a problem.

I didn't just happen across this newsgroup, I was invited here a couple of years ago and ironically the Subject at the time was also about ANTS. (See Oct. 28, 2002 thread).

Your only remarks were back then were also knocking WalMart!

Unlike your chicken self, my e-mail address is REAL, and quite obvious to anyone to remove the .nospam from the end to contact me.

I would like to repost a couple of questions by FH concerning you from May 2003: "are you EVER going to actually post something that has any value here? what cleaning tips have your contributed?"

Obviously, your presence here is totally worthless!

If any group at all is paying you for anything they must be out of their minds!

Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

We call her the Godmother of Discipline. but it's just a nickname.

Without first-class moderation, AHC would not have become the most respected group on USENET. I'm sure the board will hire a moderator again as soon as the cash-flow problems are straightened out.

Evidently Nan thought you were a problem when you ordered her off your soapbox. Here at AHC, we've never read anything quite so rude!

I read the thread but didn't see who invited you. Did they warn you to read the Charter?

Who but a troll would accuse Marcey of knocking a corporate sponsor?

Wouldn't you love to know Marcey's email address? Is that why you're trolling her? I think you'd clog her mailbox with so many love letters from "a secret admirer" that people like Nan with legitimate complaints couldn't get through to her.

FH is a shameless flirt. (No offense, FH, OK?)

Without Marcey, AHC would have trolls, spam, OTs, flames, and cyber dating. (No offense, FH, OK?)

There are two kinds of groups: those who pay Marcey and those who wish they could.

Reply to
Barbecue Bob

Hi Boob

The term "OK - Off my soapbox"

Simply means I ranted long enough and time to step down from preaching!

It IS NOT directed at someone else or accusing someone else of something!

I guess it depends in which part of the country you live in what things mean. My wife who is from the south, brought many midwesterners who thought they were her friends to tears because of a common phrase used in the south that has just the opposite meaning in real English.

Where I'm from, if someone says 'they don't care to' it means what it says, they DON'T want to do it. But apparently down south, it means just the opposite and they would be GLAD to do it.

"OK - OFF MY SOAPBOX" is NOT a direction or comment to someone else! It is a comment to ones own self, alerting others that they are TURNING OFF their preaching mode.

TTUL Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.