Simple fixed windows for van?

Thought as much. Get tested woddles, not covid - start with personality....

Reply to
Jimk

But entirely relevant to *your* spouting of

"What makes the horse need to see where it is going ?"

Very poor trolling again woddles, do you have a temperature & a continuous cough?

Reply to
Jimk

Of a van?

Reply to
Jimk

From a window in a rear door?

I really feel the quality of your trolling has dropped in the last few months...

Reply to
Jimk

Try bitumen first shurely?

Reply to
Jimk

I have a Renault Master panel van (not coachbuilt) horsebox, the type with standard solid steel back doors. Wife has decided the horses (rear facing) need to be able to look out. The "proper" Renault glazed units are comparatively expensive but I reckon all I need is one or two simple boat/caravan types fitted within the "single skin" part at the top of the door/s. Any suggestions for suppliers, or things to watch out for?

Reply to
newshound

When we bought the kitcar it was in the form of a van so we had to cut out the panels and fit the glass ourselves.

From memory we just cut inside the frame the depth of the rubber seal plus a bit and then used the hole to create the templates (the size of the hole minus the thickness of the web (all round)) then gave the templates to a local glass Co to make us two laminated windows.

I think we warmed the rubbers and bead (one side at a time etc) in a bucket of hot water then wrapped the rubber round the glass (with the joint at the top), pushed the rubber and glass in at the bottom first and then used the string / hooked tools to work the rubber round onto the frame from the inside with someone pushing the lot in from the outside (or did we fir the rubber into the body first then the glass into the rubber?). Then we pushed the bead into place and that was one side done (phew). ;-)

The other side then took half the time of the first. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

scrapyard

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

newshound laid this down on his screen :

Caravan and probably boat types are basically designed to have a thicker panel to fit to. You would probably need to add a 25mm piece of ply around the holes.

A better bet would be a car/van scrap yard and look for a van which has had panel windows added, which can be reclaimed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Make sure structural pressures cannot bounce the windows out of their surrounds. Also be interested in what makes the horse need to be able to see where its been! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Don't see many horse boxes / transporters that allow the horses a view. There may be a very good reason for this. Like they are totally mental, afraid of everything that moves and easily spooked. Many can't be got into boxes without a bag over their heads.

Have you asked other horse box owners how horses get on when they can see where they have been? And what happens when they see you getting tailgated by a moving or rapidly approaching car?

It's one thing having to make allowances for riders on horses but totally another thing if we have to start giving extra wide berth to horses in transit that have windows.

Reply to
Peter Hill

That's what my mechanic said, but ones with windows are very thin on the ground.

Reply to
newshound

Not true, actually. You see them both in coachbuilt horseboxes and in trailers. The windows are typically not very deep so you might not see the horse's head from the ground, but the horse gets enough of a view to give them a frame of reference for the outside world.

Reply to
newshound
<snip>

We thought that could be the case when approaching 3 horses in a field the other day with the dog. The dog (a terrier) barks at anything he doesn't know (is safe) or looks like it's going to come near / attack us.

So, we stood outside the horse field and they came over because 1) they are inquisitive and 2) I dare say people give them treats there.

Once they had determined we (the humans) were friendly (I was scratching their manes) two of them put their heads over the lowish fence and so their noses were about 2' away from this barking dog and no matter how loud he barked they didn't (literally) bat an eyelid. ;-)

(Dog then decided to take a few steps back as the horses weren't going to). ;-)

You are right though in that some horses or in fact, many animals, especially 'prey animals' (inc horses etc) can be spooked easily. The stray lurcher we are currently caring for has issues with trains going past for example. The terrier cgaf about them and the Cavashon we inherited when Stepdaughter died was actually a train spotter, running to near the track / bridge / crossing when she could hear one on it's way and wouldn't leave if she could hear another (assuming she didn't actually know the timetable), even if we called her on. ;-)

Two of daughters three rescue rabbits didn't like being picked up because (apparently) the experience is like being snatched by a bird. The third had overcome the fear and it knew being picked up usually meant a treat or being stroked.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Good point, although I think most of the structural strength in modern van doors comes from the internal frame which is a deep pressed channel structure.

Also be interested in what makes the horse need to be able to see

I think it is more to provide them with a frame of reference that stays aligned with gravity while a vehicle bounces around.

Reply to
newshound

I've not looked for a pair so who knows, but on the face of it that does sound unlikely. It doesn't need to be the same make/model, if you know the relevant dimensions.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You can get seals that go down pretty thin:

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

newshound wrote on 02/07/2020 :

Do horses become travel sick?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Oh the irony!

I'm pretty sure you are the *biggest* coward on here cowering behind several pseudonyms!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:rdmsb7$ofu$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...