OT Nice new village roads

ISTR it's money "brought forward" from future highways budgets.... some whizzo accounting fudge or other.

Reply to
Jim K..

Seems we should just save all the bloody money & just design it all for the majority of users then? If it's never going to be good enough for every tom dick or hazza why TF are we bothering £££?

Reply to
Jim K..

Extra points?

Reply to
Jim K..

New tarmac, silver bollards at pedestrian crossings and so on.

But only on the bit that the Tour de Yorkshire run on.

Am I missing something?

Reply to
ARW

The council will spend money on anything that'll be shown on telly.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Try a couple of handfuls of tacks on the road that the cyclists will be riding on.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

The Tour de France is a 3 week advert for France designed to show it off at its best in order to attract tourists. The TDY is shorter but otherwise the aims are the same.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Don't worry the council will have missed the bit where the utility companies will dig it up again before the Tour begins.

Why do Tour cyclists need new tarmac? Weekend wannabee racing cyclists seem to cope well f****ng up the roads for other users on the existing road surfaces.

Albeit a few decades ago, Southend council spent millions pedestrianising the high street including "pretty" patterns made from cobbles, bricks and (concrete) flags. Not long afterwards it was all dug up to replace the main sewers. IMO it was never restored correctly and the last time I walked down there it was a complete mess with flat surfaces now pretending to be mountain ranges, and with missing and cracked bricks/flags.

Even when it was initially completed it was wasn't disabled friendly with some parts of the cobbled surface being a no-go area for those with walking difficulties or for those in wheel chairs.

Reply to
alan_m

So Yorkshire is place to avoid unless you are a cyclist? Yep I've got the tourist message!

Reply to
alan_m

I was thinking that the van might break down in the village just before they closed the road.

Reply to
ARW

Apparently this *isn't* a roundabout

Andy Burns

I am silver bollards should be yellow as partially sighted see no contrast. How many times do we need to point out that safety over design looks needs to be the watchword. As for where, well here in Kingston they are rushing again to get the bit of the new cycle tracks all done before the new cycle races start again later in the year, in the meantime getting the station forecourt right has so far taken over a year since they put down the wrong paving and contravened rules on tactile and wayfinding paving when they built it. So far there has been three redesigns all rejected by disability organisations and several near misses between cyclists and pedestrians and some people unable to find the crossings.

I think we must have a lack of knowledgeable public realm designers. They play all day with little animated computer modelled versions where all people act rationally, are not looking at phones or riding cycles erratically etc, and every car stops at crossings, but when they put them in the real world it all goes pear shaped and the loss of what they call footfall in the shopping areas surprises them, well, I'm sorry if people feel threatened on the footway they will vote with their feet and go elsewhere. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You will probably find they got a grant for it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I believe they've improved the 'magic roundabout' at the western end of the town - three interlocking roundabouts installed several decades ago and great fun to navigate through! Bodmin TC, or is it Cornwall Highways, seem to have a penchant for putting in bizarre road layouts. The mental hospital that served Cornwall used to be at Bodmin...

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Its a shared space.

Reply to
dennis

Why not have a Tour Of Yorkshire.

Swap the D for on O.

We are not French.

Reply to
ARW

They did the same round here a couple of years ago for the same reason. It wouldn't look good to have riders falling off every few hundred yards as they fell into a bike wheel sized pot hole now would it?

Annoyingly they also added new soft verges in place of the old well compacted ones which means that every time you go off the road to let something big past you are into deep irregular muddy potholes.

Note that roads near district councillors houses seem to always be kept in good repair too. The rest gets tarred and feathered if you are lucky.

Reply to
Martin Brown

aye, nowt wrong with "winner of the prestigious TOY race..."

Reply to
Robin

When the first "Velo" was run around Birmingham (blocking us in for 10 hours -grrrr!!!!-) there was a bin strike on and the streets were lined with overflowing wheelie bins and ripped black bags.

Mysteriously the *route* was cleared 48 hours before the event.

Canny Brummies (of which I am not one) had the councils measure and piled their own bags onto the route for clearance.

This years sodding Velo is May 12th. Takes a different route so some other sods can be blocked in (or out) for up to 12 hours (06:00-18:00)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yorksire most definitely are *not* - all that Viking blood.

Mind you, the Normans weren't French either - they were also Vikings.

Reply to
Jethro_uk