So, these new MOTs ..

Couple of points caught my eye ...
1) Dangerously failed cars cannot be driven away (seems fair). So is there a storage charge ? What if a test station simply runs out of room after stacking a few successive dangerous fails ?
2) Tyre pressures are now tested. Seems quite a faff. Will missing or incorrect valve caps be a fail ?
On Sun, 20 May 2018 15:52:56 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk

Something that caught my eye on the BBC red button text was that diesel vehicles with a particulate filter will have to pass more-stringent tests, which implies that those without a filter won't be tested, or at least not so stringently. That suits me fine as my old diesel Ford Fusion certainly doesn't have any particulate filters.
--

Chris

Ever tried pointing out to a driver that they have a soft tire or a light not working? The usual reponse (if polite) is "I know - it is going for an MOT soon"

I was told that it is dependent on Euro rating: the higher the Euro rating of the engine (which equates with more recent cars) the more stringent the test. The garage didn't anticipate that they'd be failing many cars: it seems that garages have been unofficially observing (but not officially recording) the situation before the rules come in, so they are skilled at applying the rules correctly; my garage said on that basis, they haven't been "failing" any cars so far.
How do MOTs get round the fact that the new no-smoke rule for diesels will mean that everyone will make sure they drive the car for a while before taking it in, so the engine is hot and less likely to smoke when first started? Most diesels that produce acrid white or pale blue smoke only do so when cold, if the glow-plugs haven't heated the air enough yet, and black smoke is only produced on heavy acceleration, not when starting or at idle.
On Sun, 20 May 2018 17:48:20 +0100, NY wrote:

I'm sure there must be a fuel additive you can get that would 'cure' that problem; just tip it in before the test date so it has enough time to work.

aiui they have to warm the engine up first anyway, before doing the test.
--
Roland Perry

On 20/05/2018 18:30, Roland Perry wrote:

And run the engine at a particular speed for a while. Many old diesels with cambelts promptly expired.

I haven't looked at the new regs, but something I've heard in radio discussions over the last week is that any visible soot from a diesel is now a fail, and this is specifically intended to get a lot of old particulate poluting diesels off the road.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Hopefully that'll catch those who have removed DPFs, whenever I've chatted to the MOT chap I use, he's said that it's easy to disguise the removal.
on 20/05/2018, Andy Burns supposed :

Chatting to mine, he said that ANY sign that the DPF has been tampered with and it would arouse his suspicions and maybe an automatic fail. My car showed a 0.6 on the meter, but then I tend to properly maintain it.
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

from my experience with a 20 year old diesel car thats done over 200k miles and still going strong if there is visible smoke it would not pass the smoke test anyway
-
On 20/05/2018 19:50, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Judging by my visual assessment of cars accelerating up a long incline as they leave the village where I live is that a lot of cars are going to fail the new MOT then.
What happens if the DPF does a regen during the MOT test ?.

Yes, I suspect very few diesel drivers even realise if their car is emitting smoke, far fewer than the number that actually do, so lots of surprises in store.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

My previous diesel Honda (non-DPF, so I think euroIV) you couldn't normally see the plume, except when accelerating up a motorway ramp, with some headlights behind you.
Present diesel Audi (with DPF euro V) I've never seen anything come out the pipes, and that does involve standing and watching its MOT tests.
On 23/05/2018 20:44, Andy Burns wrote:

That follows my experience too. The tailpipes of my euro V VW don't get sooty, unlike the previous, non-DPF euro IV Seat.
Chris Bartram wrote:

Either way, I chopped the diesel in last week, and now have a euro6 petrol, so no more nerves whenever councils make rumbling noises about cities becoming diesel no-go zones.
On 20/05/2018 19:50, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I suspect garages that want repeat business may adopt a Nelsonian approach.
On Friday, 25 May 2018 12:03:49 UTC+1, newshound wrote:

Some try that one with TV licenses.
On 20/05/2018 19:50, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I think that only applies to vehicles that should have a DPF- it is intended to catch cars that should have a DPF that have had it removed.

the test is meant to "catch out" those people who have removed them from cars that should have them
A practice which is rife (apparently)
tim