So, these new MOTs ..

You are allowe to drive it to, and FROM an MOT sttaion weithout a MOT

Or were, last time I looked

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nothing strange at all. I always get an MOT done so its a couple of months after the tax. Even if it menas 'watsing' a bit of an MOT. Simply bvecause I dont want to have to rush to do an MOT just because the tax is expiring.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fair point. I've always preserved the original date that I "inherited" with the car which for every other car has been the first-registration date. But I can see the advantage of getting the car MOTed a couple of months early so you don't have to pay for both at the same time and to limit the inter-dependence of MOT and tax. It could well have been what caught me out.

As I saw, I really *should* have checked and not assumed anything :-)

Reply to
NY

Maybe depends on the part of the country. I've had cars MOTd at the council depot and local garages. Not noticed any obvious attempts to screw me over. Heck, the local garage failed one car with "Nearside Rear position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.3b)" replaced bulb FOC then issued a pass. Neatly recorded for posterity here:

Richard

Look again: What the new categories mean

Dangerous A direct and immediate risk to road safety or has a serious impact on the environment. Do not drive the vehicle until it?s been repaired. Fail

Major It may affect the vehicle?s safety, put other road users at risk or have an impact on the environment. Repair it immediately. Fail

Minor No significant effect on the safety of the vehicle or impact on the environment. Repair as soon as possible. Pass

Advisory It could become more serious in the future. Monitor and repair it if necessary. Pass

Pass It meets the minimum legal standard. Make sure it continues to meet the standard. Pass

Reply to
Richard

As I understand it 'Minor' in the new MOT is what was called 'Advisory' in the old one. You won't get advisories any more.

Reply to
Chris Green

ditto

lucky you! I had 2 in succession take the piss one year. They've had no business from me since.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

And run the engine at a particular speed for a while. Many old diesels with cambelts promptly expired.

Reply to
Andrew

Judging by my visual assessment of cars accelerating up a long incline as they leave the village where I live is that a lot of cars are going to fail the new MOT then.

What happens if the DPF does a regen during the MOT test ?.

Reply to
Andrew

That is a failure, whether it needs a 5 minute welding job or complete new exhaust.

Replacing part of an exhaust is not easy. If you try and replace manufactures system with a bit of 3-party stuff the chances are it wont be an easy fit.

Reply to
Andrew

Not any longer if its a serious failure.

Reply to
Andrew

Unlikely to occur on normal roads. Most stones or chips don't have a cutting edge. Where are you driving it ?.

Reply to
Andrew

There are three 'levels' in the new MOT:-

Dangerous - which I understand to mean you *can't* drive away

Major - fails MOT, not clear whether you can drive away (if old MOT still valid)

Minor - MOT will still be a pass, this is what used to be advisory

Reply to
Chris Green

not under the new rules you aren't.

tim

Reply to
tim...

You are never allowed to drive an unroadworthy car on public roads whether to or from an MOT station.

Reply to
dennis

TNP is talking cr@p again. You cannot drive an unroadworth vehicle to or from an MOT station with or without an appointment, you haven't been able to do so for decades.

For instance if you have a bald tyre and you are stopped going in either direction you can and probably will be done. The same applies to many other faults.

What you won't be done for is not having an MOT as long as you have an appointment and aren't driving around doing other things.

Reply to
dennis

That's the only fail I have had in 40 years and the bulb blew when the tester turned the lights on. It just went very bright and then out.

He replaced it with my spare and issued a pass.

Just as well he did it I can't get my hands in the space behind the lamp to do it.

Reply to
dennis

No. It is not. Thats what the official MOT inspector said. He said it didn't represent a safety hazard or an emissions issue

The exhaust was fine - the strap locating pin had fallen off thats all. The other ones were holding it up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had a gravel drive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, I suspect very few diesel drivers even realise if their car is emitting smoke, far fewer than the number that actually do, so lots of surprises in store.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel