OT: New washer/dryer

Normal, non-heat pump, self-contained condenser dryers seem to use a counter-current heat exchanger with incoming room air doing the cooling rather than a water supply. 'They are not as efficient as heat pump ones, but simpler.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

For my usage I couldn't justify the cost and complexity of a heat pump TD despite its efficiency over a standard condenser dryer. Heat pump driers seem to take longer and so heavier on the clothes and still consumed a fair amount of power.

Reply to
Fredxx

You've never had a decent condensing tumble drier. Mine produces no noticeable moisture, unless I open the door to check!

Reply to
Fredxx

How many arguments do you think I have had with BCOs because I don't believe a fan is needed in a utility room?

Reply to
ARW

I didn't know there was a requirement?

Reply to
Fredxx

If it is an elderly BCO they may remember boil-washing lots of nappies. Maybe you don't need one now we have all this low temperature washing; and disposables.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

So one assumes doesn't have particulary easy access to an outside drying area. Meaning that a ventilated area inside the flat is required to sir dry clothes, over the bath?

Measure the size of the hole very carefully, width, height and depth taking into account any services that run along the wall that may stop something going back as far as one might expect. Look in the manuals of prossible machines for the required clearances.

3rd floor flat implies a timber floor, a machine may wobble a bit more on a timber floor than solid. Make sure there is wobble room...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

well of course. TDing is just chosen far too often. If people had to pay their excss run cost when buying one, sales would nosedive.

Drying in the wardrobe is one of the easiest physically for folk that are not doing well. Fr everyone else it uses a small fraction of the electricity of TDing, and fwiw gets rid of one step and the [kitchen] space used by a TD. It's not cheaper to buy but far cheaper to run.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That is a recipe for damp living conditions. I have heard of people using a large airy wardrobe to dry clothes, when a dehumidifier is also placed in the wardrobe, to safely remove the moisture, but never just hanging them in a wardrobe damp.

I converted my utility room into a hanging/ drying room, with a fan to circulate the air, lots of hanging lines and a plumbed in dehumidifier to remove the moisture - that works a treat.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

A dehumidifier in the wardrobe is what I was suggesting. There's always one, and lately that one is increasingly you.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com presented the following explanation :

You didn't suggest you used a dehumidifier in the wardrobe, are we supposed to be able guess or read what is in your your mind?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

How old? I have been using washing machines for the last 35 years and I have not seen one (other than my late Grandmas twin tub) that puts moisture into the air.

Reply to
ARW

Find something easier than pressing a button?

Reply to
ARW

Now that I find odd.

I would be more expecting a concrete floor on a 3rd floor apartment.

Reply to
ARW

Yep:

(i) drop dirty clothes on floor; (ii) find clean, pressed clothes in wardrobe/drawers.

Seems to require installation of an indulgent Mum ;)

Reply to
Robin

Twin tub?

My grandmother used an Ada - a huge, top-loading, single tub, draining into the sink, with an electric mangle on the top! Funnily enough, her first name was Ada too.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

My mum had one of those. The mangle had a wide lever on the side you hit if you got your t*ts caught.

Reply to
Max Demian

OP here. I can confirm that it is indeed a concrete floor.

And thanks to all for an informative discussion.

Reply to
Grumps

I remember, as a child, the towels from my parents' surgery being boiled. There was a large tub on the gas stove, filled with the towels, lots of water, and bleach. This was boiled for what now seems like hours. It must have been rinsed outside in the garden, and I remember that we had a hand-operated mangle.

A lot of other stuff went off to the laundry in a huge wicker hamper, and I remember my mother carefully counting the stuff being sent, and even more importantly counting it back again.

This was in the 1950's. I don't remember us having a washing machine at that time. Or, indeed, where it would have been put in the fairly small kitchen.

Reply to
GB

Max Demian formulated on Tuesday :

We had an Electrolux, single tub - massive it seemed at the time and solidly built. You washed, put through the powered roller, which would return the water to the tub. Idea was to put all the actual washing through, then pump the water out to fill with clean rinse water. Like the above, it had a safety lever at either side. Touch that and it disengaged the drive and released the pressure on the rubber rollers.

It used a large triple blade paddle in the base, which turned back and forth.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield