OT: New Spectacles

BTW, SelectSpecs' site is one of the most informative that I've seen. It has answered some questions - including some that I didn't know about!

Reply to
PeterC

'appen

Reply to
geoff

In message , Mike Lane writes

But it doesn't follow that because someone within a company / employed by that company makes a grammatical error that you or I wouldn't, someone else within that company can't do a good job of making a pair of lenses

I have someone who works for me who is almost illiterate

He IS very good at working with his hands though

Put another way, should I turn you down for a software job because you can't play a Chopin polonaise ? - everyone knows that musicians make good s/w engineers

Reply to
geoff

Dunno - I couldn't see !

No comment (uk.d-i-y IIRC)

How often do you come across (budget) materials which you can guarantee not to have defects

Reply to
geoff

What, like the Plusnet advert "We won't be beat on price"?

Reply to
Dave Osborne

geoff wrote on Oct 31, 2010:

Yes, but you wouldn't ask him to write the script for your adverts, would you?

It's the fact that no one in the firm apparently knows or cares enough to check the website over for elementary grammar and spelling errors that I can't accept. I would expect them to have a similar attitude to their products.

Reply to
Mike Lane

Nothing wrong with being a Northerner.

Geoff, what was it you said tome when I called into your workplace to see you?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message , Mike Lane writes

Whatever ...

no wonder you got deported

Reply to
geoff

I'm sure you're going to remind me

Reply to
geoff

Me> I am here to see Geoff You> I am Geoff Me> Hi I am.... You {interrupting me}> You're that Northern Bastard aren't you?

How did you know it was me?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message , geoff writes

Or from another thread in this NG

"bloody plummers, may as well get the scouts in.. "

You know who you are - I'll not buying spectacles from you !

Reply to
geoff

In message , geoff writes

I spent yesterday lunchtime at Specsavers; cost me a £25 fine for overstaying my displayed parking ticket!

Part of the delay was trying to get what I wanted rather than what the pleasant salesman wanted to sell!

Can you re-lens these frames? Yes. However our technician is very unforgiving about hard to spot damage.

OK so can I have my prescription but set to working distance rather than reading? Yes. Why are the only frames available in the £25 range letter box types when I need to focus over a wide arc without having to move my head? Actually we find most customers are happy with the two for one offer in the expensive frames...... etc.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Following someone's earlier post in this thread, I thought I'd see if Fairplay did these "reverse" varifocals, or Warehouse lenses as someone called them. They are actually called "degressive" varifocals. They said they'd do me a pair for £55 lenses and £15 frames =>£70 the lot. So I told them to go for it , I'll pick them up next week and see what they are like

Reply to
geoff

In message , geoff writes

Let us know how you get on. Specsavers gave me my prescription and interpupillary distance.

I still have this pair of usable frames but no lens. Because there is less light these Autumn afternoons, I ended up laying bricks with my best reading glasses!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Pop over and see what they say then

It's only a few miles down the road for you

Reply to
geoff

I'm sure a trowel would have been easier :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , geoff writes

Yes. I could dump that Benzine on your doorstep as well:-)

Flat out on the building, trying to finish bricking before any serious weather sets in.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Frank Erskine writes

Yes.

Actually it isn't any easier wearing glasses, but you can see what you have done wrong.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Are these the same things?

good, but still too dear for me.

Reply to
PeterC

degressives work back to front

i.e. The nearest focus is at the top, not at the bottom

Reply to
geoff