OT: New Spectacles

It's a fiddle. With modern lens-making equipment, bifocal or varifocal is as quick and cheap to make as single vision. Tap in the figures and press Go.

Reply to
PeterC

Just normal varifocals, never noticed any lack of overhead vision.

Maybe it depends on where the focus changes?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Too far :-( - I'm near Northampton. No idea if there's any such facility here.

Reply to
PeterC

Thanks Dave, I'll have a look at that site. I do have some sites bookmarked that were mentioned in this group. A lot of the '2-for-1' are around £50; Tesco mentioned £60 so I might just get the first ones from there as then it's easy to take 'em back. Once sorted, then on-line is the way to go.

Reply to
PeterC

Well, if you can manage most of the time with 'readers', the varifocals can take care of the rest:)

Not a worry for you then:) I am not asking, but if you are over a 'certain' age, you get 25% off if the ads on tv are to be trusted:)

Good luck with your choices!

Reply to
Ophelia

I find I'm having to look through the long-distance bit.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Me too. I've considered getting some fixed focus ones for DIY. Ceiling roses are a particular pain.

Reply to
Huge

In that case I might qualify (bus pass but not yet pension - don't use the pass much as I cycle almost everywhere).

Thank you.

Reply to
PeterC

My last GF had a new pair of specs. with circular lenses - one lens was 180 deg. out! That was a v. complex prescription, but would the same 'trick' work for varifocals or would the L-R aspect or Axis on each lens be a problem?

BTW, a couple of sites that I found whilst trying to learn a bit:

On laser surgery of various types (not for the squeamish):

terms:
form of explanation of prescription; enter the figures and it shows diagrams of the defects and a brief explanation. Needs Cookies; best to delete cookies on exit so that your profile doen't affect subsequent runs:
site that seems to be only clinical; has forums:

PeterC

May be worth giving Rick a call to see if there's any trade organisation or body that you could then use to find a guy local to you.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

Good point - thanks.

Reply to
PeterC

Have a look round for Occupational Lenses or Double-D e.g:-

Geo

In message , tim.... writes

I bet Fairplay Optical would do them for you

Reply to
geoff

Then there's fairplay optical just down the road here in Watford

Reply to
geoff

I solved the problem in the past by getting prescription single vision specs just for computer use.

----------------------------------------------------------- I don't actually need the glasses for the computer.

The problem is that when I wear my corrected glasses they over focus on near things and I have to take them off. This means that when I am at my computer I can't recognise people across an office.

tim

Reply to
tim....

tim.... :

Get a webcam. :-)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

mmm, just done a search on that and get dead ends and loads of 'business' leaching sites and links to Glasses On Spec but nothing else. Do you have a link, please?

Reply to
PeterC

I am on my third set of varifocals which I took to straight away. But agree totally with comments about computer screens and overhead DIY. I still prefer no glasses for reading and close work - more relaxing as another poster wrote. Don't forget the eye protectors when necessary though. For fine soldering I sometimes add a pair of clip on magnifying lenses to my specs.

Another totally different approach that I use when orienteering - particularly in the rain - is to wear one contact lens for distance vision and use the naked eye for map and compass reading. Slightly odd but tolerable, even acceptable, for a few hours but after that I revert to the varifocals. I hear that there are people who do that all the time - maybe if I persevered rather than do it sporadically it would become natural.

Pete

Reply to
peteshew

I don't know what on earth you searched for, nor what search engine you used, but a Google search on "fairplay optical" returned that company's web site as its first result.

Reply to
Bruce

To be more precise, it was that company'e entry in a trade directory that might be useful for searching for similar firms in other parts of the UK. It gives full address and telepohone details:

Optical also trades online as Glassesonspec.co.uk:

Bruce