OT. New online postage stamps?

Perhaps not, but that takes more effort to do that simply clicking print again.

I just think that the whole shebang needed more thought, after all the do mention unique bar codes, implying that only one of each can be printed. If it ain't so then they are not being truthful.

Reply to
Brian Morrison

Except that they're not unique if they can be printed multiple times.

Reply to
Brian Morrison

It's rather easy to capture what's sent to the printer and use that to repeatedly print other copies. (eg by using a 'print to file' option - like for postscript). Ie it isn't even slightly secure enough.

Hence the scanning at the RM end is the only sensible way this can be done.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

How do you stop someone photocopying it once it's been printed? And what do you do if the printer jams halfway through?

The "one-scan" barcode method has been working perfectly well with the existing SmartStamp system, so there's no reason why it shouldn't work here. And franking systems create "stamps" that are copyable quite easily, and thus have to be validated in other ways. There are problems with this system, but they're more about usability as regards buying the online stamps than with concerns about multiple use.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

You could also print to a virtual printer (or Postscript/PDF creator) and then reprint the captured file later.

It's impossible to make it impossible to print something more than once. You can make it difficult, but if you rely on it being difficult as a method of validation then all you do is encourage people to explore ways of defeating it.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

Not entirely zero overhead, since it's increasing the number of items in the system that need to have the barcode scanned and logged rather than simply franking the stamp by a mechanical process. So there is a significant IT overhead involved, although it's minimised by the fact that this is an extension of the existing SmartStamp product rather than an entirely new system.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

The barcode is unique to the purchase. Once scanned on its way through the postal system, it will generate an error if scanned in again and hence prevent re-use of the same code.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

Thus forcing RM to have a constantly increasing database unless they have other means of limiting validity.

I can't see this today plus one day approach being much use for anything other than occasional use.

Reply to
Brian Morrison

I would just 'hold' the entire printer queue, then make multiple copies of the item in the queue. Very few mouse clicks!

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's merely terminology. Perhaps I should have said 'use once'. The Java solution doesn't stop things being printed more than once - it is trivial to circumvent that (really trivial on my system). But, even if it were a bit more tricky, it's a whopping hole.

The bar code can be printed as many times as you wish. Use it more than once and only the first letter to be franked will get through without postage due charges being raised. Seems a solid solution.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Then you're probably not in the target market for the service.

Reply to
Michael Hoffman

Yes, but with the inconvenience on the addressee rather than the sender.

I'm also suspicious that it makes it easier to connect a specific letter with the sender since RM will have records of who bought which bar codes. I'm temperamentally unsuited to such "improvements".

Reply to
Brian Morrison

Apparently not. Never mind......

Reply to
Brian Morrison

In message , at 17:38:38 on Tue, 19 Sep

2006, Brian Morrison remarked:

And how does that work when the printer jams, runs out of ink, falls off the network suddenly, and so on?

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 17:32:15 on Tue, 19 Sep 2006, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

But what's the credit/debit card commission on one 23p transaction?

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 17:02:31 on Tue, 19 Sep

2006, Tim Ward remarked:

And you never pass a post office during non-vampire hours? 100 stamps last a long time, you just need to buy them when the opportunity arises.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Don't think so, not often enough to keep me in stamps. And if I did it's unlikely that I'd have enough spare time for the queue anyway.

We usually buy rather more than that, and try to keep buying stamps to no more than once or twice a year.

No, we only make special trips to post offices when we actually need to.

Reply to
Tim Ward

Then it would probably work out cheaper to use one of the business post schemes. I simply put a rubber stamp impression on every envelope and Royal Mail sends someone around to pick up the mail bags.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

of your way to find waterproof that is) and will get messed up on the way to the postbox in the rain.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

In message , at 18:43:24 on Tue, 19 Sep

2006, Tim Ward remarked:

I only make *special* trips when I need to, but the local co-op incorporates a sub post office, and at least 1 in 10 times I go there, the queue is short enough that I might consider buying some stamps to put in stock. It's also likely that the supermarket bit sells stamps, too (as do many others).

Reply to
Roland Perry