OT New idea (car door.)

So what does the panel think about this one? http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-car-door.htm
On 26/11/2013 07:14, harryagain wrote:

It's a new idea to me, but the copyright notice says 2007. There's an obvious conclusion to be drawn.
On Tuesday, 26 November 2013 07:52:19 UTC, GB wrote:

What?
The advert seemed heavily shopped. I couldn't fathom whether it was a rotating unit or an accordion. How much door panel goes under the car and where does it get the space to rotate?
And what protects the panel from road debris?
On 26/11/2013 07:14, harryagain wrote:

Gull wing doors are much better when it is raining.
Colin Bignell

But hopeless in just about every other situation.
Tim
On 26/11/2013 09:22, Tim+ wrote:

They look pretty though
Colin Bignell

Useless for parking next to another car or wall, etc.
--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I remember a video of some model or other with gullwing doors specifically showing that they /could/ be opened in quite a minimal gap, comparable to the minimum needed to get in/out of an ordinary car.
--
Scott

On Tuesday, 26 November 2013 11:23:12 UTC, Scott M wrote:

They look drop dead sexy, but what happens when the whole side of the car d rops open and the munchkins in the back decide to unbuckle and jump out? Al so, surely it makes for less security when the nearby scrote suddenly has f ull access to whatever is on the back seats?

I still wouldn't mind owning a Mercedes SL300 gullwing, despite my diesel estate car having a higher top speed, better acceleration, greater economy, vastly superior road holding, much more comfort and an engine that doesn't need an oil change every 200 yards.
Colin Bignell

Oh indeed - a real classic design. But although the doors were a good idea where they could be opened easily, you then had to negotiate a massive sill. I've sat in one many years ago.
All of which easily forgiven when driving one, I'd guess.
--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

That was where they hid the space frame chassis and was why it needed gullwing doors.

When I was last in Stuttgart, Mercedes were offering a factory reconditioned one - at EUR 500,000. I didn't get to sit in it.

Possibly not from what I've read of the handling, but they do look cool.
Colin Bignell

You mean being seen driving one?

Suppose with your electric vehicle you've forgotten the pleasure of driving.
--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

On 27/11/2013 8:03 a.m., Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No car matches the pleasure of riding a motorbike, and it doesn't have to be an expensive one.

Riding a bike lost much of its pleasure when helmets became compulsory.
--
*Happiness is seeing your mother-in-law on a milk carton

On 27/11/2013 11:13 p.m., Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It's a toss-up. For example, I hate getting smacked in the face by a bee doing 140 kph.
On 27/11/2013 18:20, Gib Bogle wrote:

Jesus, I didn't know bees could go that fast! ;)
SteveW
On 27/11/13 19:57, SteveW wrote:

Never loaded one into an air rifle?

--
Ineptocracy

I had bikes. A passing phase for teeneagers. And born-again-bikers. (Who just look ridiculous.)