OT New idea (car door.)

wrote:

Elecric vehicles are a whole new driving experience. You realise what shit objects ICE engines are.
You have to be pretty thick to get pleasure from driving these days with the traffic. I have driven across the Andes and in the Sahara desert.
Only teenagers get pleasure from driving. I soon found it boring.
Built a fast car. Got bored.
Took up flying. Got bored.
Cars just get you from a to B.
On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 08:00:26 +0000, harryagain wrote:

What traffic? There's none around here.

No wonder, given the dullmobile that you drive.
On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 08:00:26 -0000, "harryagain"
Are you some relation of Dracula?

Not if they're done right. The DeLorean ones famously opened without going outside the cars footprint for example. About the only thing they did right on the car...
Hatchbacks need less room than estates for the same reason.
Cheers,
Colin.

And IME coupes are a right pain. The door's so long that if space is tight the opening is both narrow and behind you.
--
Mike Barnes

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 19:22:16 +0000, Colin Stamp

Cobblers. Plenty right about that car.
On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 10:19:24 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

A car with roll-shutter doors; now that would be a fine thing.
On Tuesday 26 November 2013 09:36 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Especially good for twatting the copper in the chin and doing a runner after he's pulled you for speeding!

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 10:19:24 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Are they really that much worse than normal hinged doors?
Low roofs, otoh, definitely.
On Tuesday 26 November 2013 10:43 Adrian wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Well, even I can slip my lardy arse through a partly opened normal door. I would however not want to limbo in under an obstructed gullwing door!

Yes - unless shaped like a worm. ;-)
--
*Of course I'm against sin; I'm against anything that I'm too old to enjoy.

On Tuesday 26 November 2013 08:12 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Can you even open them in a car park?

On 26/11/2013 9:12 p.m., Nightjar wrote:

That design will never get off the ground.
On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 07:14:06 +0000, harryagain wrote:

<can't be arsed> Lemme guess, this is that '90s Thunderbird with the doors that drop into the sills?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Z1
harryagain wrote:

Saw this a while ago; it's a solution looking for a problem.
--
Scott

On Tuesday 26 November 2013 07:14 harryagain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Bring it on!
It would stop me having a heart attack when the kids open doors in carparks, particularly when there's a howling wind!
(This stems from an incident where I had to make a grovelling apology to another car owner about dinging his door when a gust of wind whipped the door out of SWMBO's hand)
Even better would be inventing the force field, then driving around with (apparantly) no door at all!

On 26/11/2013 8:14 p.m., harryagain wrote:

Too bad if there is an electrical malfunction.