A question for those with Multifuel stoves.....

Whats the most economical way to buy smokeless fuel?

by the bag or a lorry load? any tips or tricks to get bargains? Any particular supplier known for its keen pricing?

I burn collected wood so its free to me.

But I do need to put some smokeless fuel in last thing at night so that when I wake up in the morning I then can just put a fresh load of wood on and carry on without having to relight the stove. In addition it would help to heat the house up during the night.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

On Tuesday 26 November 2013 09:09 Stephen wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Online.

Unless you live oop north or Wales, then you might be near enough a coal merchant who is not a ripoff! Southern merchants are hideously expensive.

25kg bags on a pallet are convenient for me. I can stash a few here and a few there and keep 3-4 near the front door to fill the bucket from.

I like Phurnacite myself - I have tried many smokeless fuesl including pure anthracite (which is a bastard to light BTW).

It slumbers well and gives good long heat.

I can personally recommend these merchants:

Deliver anywhere on the mainland and you do not need to order a full ton (40 bags) like some merchants. They're quick (less than a week) and you can give all the delivery instructions you want on the phone and pick a day (subject to haulier availability). Each year I check the prices and they come out the best or near enough.

It usually comes on a drop-tail lorry with one bloke and a pallet truck, so you can get it put anywhere the pallet lifter can go.

Reply to
Tim Watts

1 or 2T at a time and in mid-summer.

Look online first and then armed with that go and negotiate with your local coal merchant. Usually cheaper in quantities like 1T and above bought in mid summer if your bunker is up to holding it and your access path is up to having a dirty great heavy coal wagon on it. Our water runs muddy for a hour or two after they have delivered a ton of coal.

We are not in a smokeless zone although I was recommended to use a particular type of smokeless in the stove to control the tar build up.

Get one of the tough compressed nodule type fuels. They last amazingly well overnight and burn slowly once the vents are damped down a bit.

Reply to
Martin Brown

What do you mean by "tough compressed nodule type fuels" and can you post web links to where I may buy them?

Thanks

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

On Tuesday 26 November 2013 18:17 Stephen wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Phurnacite and other artifical fuel briquettes.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Something like this stuff (not a recommendation for the site).

I haven't bought any for a while. I use a small amount to allow the fire to stay lit overnight. The highly compressed stuff burns very slowly and you can still relight from the embers the next evening!

The stuff I am burning at present is prehistoric hexagonal bricks.

Reply to
Martin Brown

EricP