OT Never mind the super railway-

The fact remains you are far more likely to see a diesel belching out smoke than a petrol. Keeping them to spec seems to be far more difficult than petrol.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mine was in your area on the 17th of October. I was on my way to Watford at about 8pm.

Reply to
ARW

I had lots of police zooming down both sides of the motorway. The same sign was showing on the opposite carriageway.

Police practice?

Reply to
ARW

I used that road a quite a bit a few years ago when I was working in Washington.

It's a fast road.

Reply to
ARW

Perhaps you should investigate what Mazda are doing that allows them to run 15:1 compression on a petrol engine.

They really are doing things differently. Their latest _petrol_ engine has a mix of spark and compression ignition.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I see you also failed to grasp what I said. They've worked out how to push petrol harder. You can always push diesel harder still, as whatever tricks you use to prevent premature ignition, diesel can go further in that respect.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

But you have quoted a carbon mo noxide limit when the point, as I read it, was the carbon dioxide emissions.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

These days, it's largely because there is more energy in diesel then petrol.

Reply to
harry

It's more down to direct injection (of fuel into the cylinder.)

Reply to
harry

LPG was even better.

Reply to
bert

The point was 'pollutant'. CO2 emissions are broadly the same for a given size of petrol or diesel engine.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Are you sure. Are these figures independently tested, actually enforced in reality. Are they tested in the MOT?

We have been lied to about diesels before, quoting some theoretical limits doesn't instil confidence. Without reliable enforcement they are probably still as much a fiction as they used to be.

Reply to
Pancho

The special school near me has a sign that says "Slow Children Crossing"

Reply to
ARW

how would it make any sense to try to ban diesels becuase the fuel is a bit more energy dense?

Reply to
tabbypurr

I guess I can't expect you to comprehend what was said.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not at all, a 1.7 diesel is normally a lot more efficient than a 1.7 petrol. That means less CO2 per mile. Diesels win by miles on CO2. Hence greens are against it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Or one I saw saying "Heavy Plant Crossing" Didn't know trees could walk.

Reply to
bert

Have you never seen a Triffid?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Of course not, he was blinded by the comet shower.

Reply to
Pancho

Good point. Didn't they go over a cliff edge?

Reply to
bert