Opener occupying half of window?

UPVC windows, top opening,
Is there any reason why the opener can't be half of the window?
Because that's what I asked for, the window firm said 'it will look wrong' to which i stated I didn't care but yesterday they fitted two windows with 1/3 openings.
I'm not best chuffed.
On 05/11/2019 06:44, R D S wrote:

You should get whatever you specify. Both half and third openers are available, just walk down any street and you will probably see examples of each. With half openings you can also specify if its the top or bottom half that opens.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Could it be elf and safety, ie falling out of window? Mind you if I had a fire I've no idea how I'd get out my windows, they seem to have been made for a nuclear bunker. Brian
--
----- --
On 05/11/2019 08:19, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

You'd never fall out of them. The ceilings here are quite high, which is why I wanted them 50/50 so I could reach and open the chuffers.
On Tuesday, 5 November 2019 06:45:03 UTC, R D S wrote:

Well, they'll have to take them away and bring some new ones, won't they?
Owain
On 05/11/2019 09:54, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

I hope so but it may depend on whether "asked" was in writing and acknowledged by them.
--
Robin
On 05/11/2019 10:01, Robin wrote:

Precisely. Missus sorted it. All verbal. Now wishing i'd gone all control freak on it as per normal.
I was going to do the job myself. However it's cost about 300 quid more and i've not got what I wanted.
Stick to DIY eh?
On 05/11/2019 11:39, R D S wrote:

Perhaps your missus got what she wanted?

On 05/11/2019 12:00, GB wrote:

Nah, she has quite the cob on too.
On 05/11/2019 11:39, R D S wrote:

Sorry you've experienced what seems all too common from British traders.

Well, perhaps DIY contract drafting at least.
--
Robin
On 05/11/2019 11:39, R D S wrote:

Usually you get a written carbon copy of what was agreed in terms of layout and location of hinges with rough dimensions for price estimation on the sales copy and detailed survey when the guy comes to measure up.
If you have those and they show you ordered an equal split window then you might stand a chance of getting them back to sort it for free.

I can't see any reason why they couldn't supply windows you specified.
They do sometimes have favourite sizes for some glazing components. Not all "bespoke" double glazing is truly made to measure.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On Tuesday, 5 November 2019 11:39:35 UTC, R D S wrote:

over and over and over, it's the way to go.
NT
On Tue, 5 Nov 2019 06:44:59 +0000, R D S wrote:

Nope, the larger windows here are top hung half opening, both halves open. Like that, with glazing bars, to have a "sash-a-like" appearance. We also have some smaller top hung full opening ones.

They might have been concerned about "even lines," the none opening section would have wider glass than the opener. Same happens with timber frames but the difference is *much* smaller than with uPVC. Looking at ours the glazing for an opener is the best part of 2" all round smaller than fixed glazing would be.

Did you not see (drawings of) and approve what they where going to install? 1/3 seems a bit odd but it depends on the size and shape of the window.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 2019-11-05 06:44, R D S wrote:

It can be any amount you like, even 100% of the height. We had no problem specifying some with 1000mm for the top opener and 400mm for the bottom. We have another 880mm high where the entire pane is top hinged.
There's no technical restrictions apart form a physical minimum size for each pane. Whether or not it looks wrong is the customer's opinion, not the supplier's.