Opener occupying half of window?

UPVC windows, top opening,

Is there any reason why the opener can't be half of the window?

Because that's what I asked for, the window firm said 'it will look wrong' to which i stated I didn't care but yesterday they fitted two windows with 1/3 openings.

I'm not best chuffed.

Reply to
R D S

You should get whatever you specify. Both half and third openers are available, just walk down any street and you will probably see examples of each. With half openings you can also specify if its the top or bottom half that opens.

Reply to
alan_m

Could it be elf and safety, ie falling out of window? Mind you if I had a fire I've no idea how I'd get out my windows, they seem to have been made for a nuclear bunker. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Well, they'll have to take them away and bring some new ones, won't they?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I hope so but it may depend on whether "asked" was in writing and acknowledged by them.

Reply to
Robin

Nope, the larger windows here are top hung half opening, both halves open. Like that, with glazing bars, to have a "sash-a-like" appearance. We also have some smaller top hung full opening ones.

They might have been concerned about "even lines," the none opening section would have wider glass than the opener. Same happens with timber frames but the difference is *much* smaller than with uPVC. Looking at ours the glazing for an opener is the best part of 2" all round smaller than fixed glazing would be.

Did you not see (drawings of) and approve what they where going to install? 1/3 seems a bit odd but it depends on the size and shape of the window.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It can be any amount you like, even 100% of the height. We had no problem specifying some with 1000mm for the top opener and 400mm for the bottom. We have another 880mm high where the entire pane is top hinged.

There's no technical restrictions apart form a physical minimum size for each pane. Whether or not it looks wrong is the customer's opinion, not the supplier's.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Precisely. Missus sorted it. All verbal. Now wishing i'd gone all control freak on it as per normal.

I was going to do the job myself. However it's cost about 300 quid more and i've not got what I wanted.

Stick to DIY eh?

Reply to
R D S

You'd never fall out of them. The ceilings here are quite high, which is why I wanted them 50/50 so I could reach and open the chuffers.

Reply to
R D S

Perhaps your missus got what she wanted?

Reply to
GB

Nah, she has quite the cob on too.

Reply to
R D S

Sorry you've experienced what seems all too common from British traders.

Well, perhaps DIY contract drafting at least.

Reply to
Robin

Usually you get a written carbon copy of what was agreed in terms of layout and location of hinges with rough dimensions for price estimation on the sales copy and detailed survey when the guy comes to measure up.

If you have those and they show you ordered an equal split window then you might stand a chance of getting them back to sort it for free.

I can't see any reason why they couldn't supply windows you specified.

They do sometimes have favourite sizes for some glazing components. Not all "bespoke" double glazing is truly made to measure.

Reply to
Martin Brown

over and over and over, it's the way to go.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr