OT Never mind the super railway-

Lets have another parallel motorway to the M6. That would be much more practical and useful!
How does that help with global warming?
Still just don't take a diesel car into Bristol Town Centre next year. Brian
--
----- --

Fuck global warming. That’s just what that soggy little frigid island needs.

Fuck that too. Those denizens need to die.

I hope Bristol has a good park and ride system so people who have diesel cars can park outside the zone and travel into the city centre. Does it apply just to the centre, or does it affect all the residents of the suburbs as well. If the latter, I bet there will be a lot of second hand diesels on the market round there.
I actually prefer my diesel car to a petrol (more low-end torque, better 50-70 acceleration) and will be sad when I eventually have to replace it with a petrol or a petrol-electric hybrid. Let's hope the range of pure electrics has improved by the time I need to change my car. An electric would do me fine... most of the time. But it's those other times when range is important - if my wife needs to borrow my car to get to work because hers needs to go to the garage etc.

my nearly 4 yo diesel is allowed into the Central London control zone for free, since the manufacturers (Mazda) have obviously got it right. Will the same apply to Bristol?
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 05/11/2019 09:40, charles wrote:

If you are retired and doing less then 15,000 miles a year, then a diesel engined car is a daft choice.

What has being retired got to do with it?
--
Chris Green
·

On 05/11/2019 22:09, Chris Green wrote:

Generally doing far fewer miles than someone who commutes by car every day.
Also, if Charles drives into London frequently (as he has suggested), then a petrol hybrid would save him the entire 'congestion' charge, as well as the new low emission add-on.
Also much easier to drive on crowded roads, like the area around Guildford.

But would it pay for the extremely high parking charges in much of the CC area?
--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off*

On 05/11/2019 19:25, Andrew wrote:

Someone is skewing the average mileage.
https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/average-car-mileage-uk
as the average miles per year are 7600.
Probably me.
About 11000 miles a year to work and back and about 32000 miles of work travel last year.
Add to that 6000 miles in the car for private use.
--
Adam

On 05/11/2019 09:05, NY wrote:

Just an £9 extra day for a customer.
Stick it on sundries and do 3 customers a day at £9 each.
The van is still there using the same fuel. It's no greener but you are £18 up on the deal.
--
Adam

how does a new railway?

but modern diesels are cleaner than your petrol car, probably.

On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 12:47:32 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

Exactly. But they prefer the blunt instrument, it seems.
Bob Eager wrote:

Are they banning all diesels, or just those pre Euro V or whatever?
On Tuesday, 5 November 2019 19:57:54 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

The whole anti-diesel thing is quite nonsensical. 1. They are and will always be much more energy efficient than petrol because higher compression ratio is usable. This is an inherent property of the fuel, not a transient design issue. 2. Old smoky diesels are nearly all gone to the scrapyard in the sky. The few that remain contribute close to nothing to total pollution percentage, and will head for the scrapyard in due course. 3. While diesel emissions are currently inferior to petrol, they have improved hugely & are continuing to do so. 4. The research that exists indicates that particulate pollution is nearly all due to tyres, not diesel engines. 5. Scrappage, bans & overtaxing are senseless because old diesels contribute very little to the problem, and are disappearing on their own anyway. It's just one more excuse to scam people.
NT

Mazda "sky activ" engines have the same compression ratio for both fuels. (IIRC, too late to look it up)
Andy
On Wednesday, 6 November 2019 21:57:22 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:

Looks like you didn't properly understand what I said.

Perhaps you should investigate what Mazda are doing that allows them to run 15:1 compression on a petrol engine.
They really are doing things differently. Their latest _petrol_ engine has a mix of spark and compression ignition.
Andy
On Friday, 8 November 2019 21:54:27 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:

I see you also failed to grasp what I said. They've worked out how to push petrol harder. You can always push diesel harder still, as whatever tricks you use to prevent premature ignition, diesel can go further in that respect.
NT
On Saturday, 9 November 2019 12:48:21 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It's more down to direct injection (of fuel into the cylinder.)