OT MOT Advisories

I got an advisory with my last MOT the the rubber bushes on the steering were starting to crack. The car has been fine since and as I do not do a high milage I wonder what the procedure will be in my next MOT.

Will the garage insist that the work be done or check how far the bushes have deteriorated and if this is not by much, pass the car with a further advisory re the bushes?

Reply to
Wesley

I've had one of them for the last three MOTs on the Xantia. Still haven't done them.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Wesley,

Pop over to uk.rec.cars.maintenance and pose your question there - and you will find out that an "advisory" is just that - and may not even be picked up on the next MOT (which will be done without reference to any past MOT records).

In my case, a main dealer "advised" that I had a small oil leak on a power steering ram three years running - when I took the car to a different MOT station, that so-called defect was not even mentioned (and I've been using that garage for the last three years).

Cash

Reply to
Cash

three years ago I was advised of 'corrosion in my lower wishbones'.

Its been through two MOTS since at a different garage and no mention.

They do keep telling me about the cracked tyre sidewalls, but the old camper only does 3000 miles a year..

I'e had a car failed for 'different brightness brake lights: the same wattage bulb in both. One was just brighter than another and a 'dangerous bonnet catch' I took it elsewhere and it passed. I even pointed out the issues 'if they work and you have the correct bulb in, its not an issue, and anyone who works on an engine without propping the bonnet is a bloody fool anyway' ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think "some" garages use advisories to generate work when they are slack or to make you think they are being thorough. Having said that you should look for yourself and make a sensible judgement as there may be an issue in close up

Reply to
cynic

You'll probably find that it's dangerous in the sense of insecure while the car is in motion, rather than likely to drop on your head which is the job of the bonnet prop, not the bonnet catch.

Ah - here you are...

Skipweasel

My previous car had "rusty brake disks" on every MOT. I warped (overheated) them once and had them replaced, but it was still "rusty brake disks" even after that.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

modest speeds.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

It was the bonnet prop, not the catch. Muy bad.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

BNTDTGTTS on the A1 at 70mph.

A bit disconcerting.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Skipweasel writes

I used to have an Omega. The steering started to wander. I was alarmed enough to take it to the main dealer who found nothing wrong, then to a local ATS, who put it on a ramp and declared it OK.

A week or two later, I had an alarming experience when tootling along without concentrating too hard and, at a road junction (ie change of camber as different road joined) suddenly the car turned left and towards the side road, just stopping as I mounted the far kerb. No-one was standing there, but it was truly frightening.

Car then drove OK, but I went straight to a testing station with a hoist.

They found a rubber bush had fallen out.

That was one of the good Carlton/Omegas in which I did 200k each and were still fine. The last one I had, after this, was dreadful. Full of useless dodgy electronics.

Reply to
Bill

Mine has rusty brake discs with seconds of each time it stops raining, do they make the discs out of recycled Lancias?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Bonnet flew up on my son's Allegro at 30 mph and he narrowly avoided an accident. When bonnet came unlatched on my Renault 30 at 85 mph I was really glad that it was hinged at the front.

Reply to
Bob Martin

My incident was a Midget, which is hinged at the back.. I slowed down using the central crash barrier as a guide and waited till there was a gap to pull off to the left.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I bought a rather too cheap XJS and TWO MOTS later they told me I had a bent kingpin and must have crashed it. 'No, it's been like that since I bought it'

It went round bumpy corners a lot better when they fitted a new one.

I am not sure that MOT's are worth the paper they are printed on frankly. I suppose they get the very worst rubbish off the roads.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

That was indeed the original intention of the MOT.

It was originally a "Ten Year Test" (first annual test when ten years old), and only covered really serious defects. Inevitably, mission creep set in, and the age was reduced to 3 years. And, of course, many additions have been added to the 'fail' list - and are increasingly concerned with legal compliance rather than safety.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Ditto on the TVR, except I was doing 140 mph.

Reply to
Huge

BTDT and still have the dents in the Land Rover bonnet where it hit the rollcage, more like 30 MPH though still bloody scary.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Fortunately the TVR bonnet is front hinged. I was doing passenger laps for the ASDA charity day (*) at Bruntingthorpe and the bonnect came open on the main straight. I have bonnet pins holding it down now.

(* The public pay £5/lap to be ferried round for the benefit of a charity - the Children's Make-A-Wish Foundation the year I did it. Piccies here;

Huge

but for the other half can be a major scare.

NT

Reply to
Tabby