OT: More things that annoy me...

...a verb used in British English for some 500 years

(whence e.g. "administrator" - though "administerer" is also found)

Reply to
Robin

Surely it would be 'omahj (if it really is French).

Reply to
Max Demian

What's wrong with 'administer'?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Nukeler power....

Reply to
phister

Actually I looked that one up. The root is a burglar. In the UK we made up a verb to 'burgle' In the USA they did the other.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well some people do say it that way. To me its hommidge

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

NooKooLah

I love the yankls on you tube 'soddering' their circuits together

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nothing. But English is not limited to just one word for any given meaning.

Reply to
Robin

And they talk about using an automobile for transportation instead of a car for transport. Why use 3 letters when 10 will do? :)

Reply to
The Other John

We used it here in the past. The (first) 'A' in AA and RAC stands for 'automobile'.

Reply to
Joe

In message snipped-for-privacy@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>, Joe snipped-for-privacy@jretrading.com writes

Although they certainly used to, I don't think the Americans use 'automobile' (simply for 'car') very much any more.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

AndroidAuto vs Apple CarPlay

Reply to
Andy Burns

Run?

Reply to
Bob Martin

"Multi..." has been fashionable among biens-pensants for some decades.

When I was a student, the one that used to amuse me was "multi-national companies" (a hate term, of course).

The normal way of saying it would be "international companies".

Reply to
JNugent