OT: More things that annoy me...

E-bay message, received today: "Shop your faves". I don't have any "faves", although I might have some favourites. Or I might not.

Something being described as "Unmissable". No it's not. I can usually miss it quite easily, thank you, by accident or design.

The same with "must-haves", (Vista Print today), there is no requirement for me to buy them, whatever they are. More likely they will go into my "must-not-have" list after that description.

Why there is this constant desire to ruin and abuse a perfectly good language, I will never know.

Reply to
Davey

......a bit like RAP

Reply to
Smolley

..that a friend of mine always preceded with a 'C'.

Reply to
Davey

Yes well, Virgin Media went through a spate of this. I also noted the use of take a look at this puppy, when describing a video of some labour saving gadget on sale. Why puppy? Its a bloody device not a puppy. Currently there is an advert for I know not what on TV that says take a look at this puppy, which isn't. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I had a ping on Alexa today. Up to 40 percent off in our special offers this weekend. Up to implies anything from nothing at all to 40 percent, from experience, nothing tends to be closer to the truth. Its just something to make people have a look, Nothing else. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's an Americanism, relating to the odd notion that puppies are "cute" and "neat", so the item in question is obviously both.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Marketing and propaganda, The average urban snoflake hipster lives in a world bounded by the narrative of people trying to sell him something. That's why he *believes* in climate change, gender change, the EU and all the other guff with big money promoting it as "whiter than white", or "the worst thing since sliced bread".

How they will survive when renewable energy crashes the power grid is something I dont want to contemplate.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Youtube its Youtube "merch" and not Youtube channel merchandise

Reply to
alan_m

Another reason to avoid it, then.

Reply to
Davey

profit.

Reply to
Animal

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Similar to saying 'what a dog' when describing a dud device.

Wonder what the etymology of both are.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Dunno, all my low end virtual assistant devices have been discounted by about that, usually when a new version has just become available, for the previous version.

Good discounts periodically on Philips Hue devices on Amazon too.

That's overstated.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Doesnt explain the reverse, calling a dud a dog.

Reply to
chop

Philips no longer make light bulbs. It's now badge engineering :)

Reply to
alan_m

I thought the Americanism was that puppies were, erm..., female upper chest bits.

Reply to
Jonathan Harston

alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote

Irrelevant, still real discounts.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I never had a hint along those lines while I was there.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Our council has stuck up a notice near an illegal dumping hotspot.

"You may be fined _up to_ £5000 for leaving rubbish here"

I'd prefer it was stated _minimum_ £5000.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

To remain (legally) honest "you could be fined £5000 for leaving rubbish here"

Reply to
alan_m

Maybe, but presumably the law states that there is a *maximum* fine of £5000 and thus the notice is quite correct.

Reply to
Chris Green