OT: More bad news for harry...

It is completely relevant. Your attempt to make it appear that cold is better because panels put out more has already been shown up to be interesting but *not* relevant by Nightjar. What *is* relevant is the shortness of the day and the lower output.

Which is bugger-all. 20%, eh? Gosh, I'll alert the media.

[drivel snipped]
Reply to
Tim Streater

But if that's the case then why did you write ?

And not "in winter, when it's dark, you have bugger-all solar energy"

Why mention "cold" at all, if its *not* relevant ?

michael adams

,,,

Reply to
michael adams

20% is bugger all, or do you suggest everyone needs five times as many panels?
Reply to
dennis

Bugger all Sometimes hyphenated. A British expression meaning "nothing." I know precisely bugger all about nuclear thermodynamics.

Bugger all means "nothing". Not "only 20%" of something

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm not really that interested in the technicalities of this particular topic.

What I am interested in however, is pointing out when people seem to feel the need to lie, to distort the truth, or to change the meaning of simple English words in order to support their position.

Either that or totally ignore inconvenient facts such as the 40% figure for February.

That should tell anyone all they ever need to know, quite frankly.

michael adams

michael adams

Yes, theirs is a strange world where the tail wags the dog. ;-(

Luckily, they (Linux users) are a minority that doesn't really seem to be expanding (or not at any rate):

... and the strange, blinkered evangelists, like TNP and his cronies represent an old guard and even smaller minority (that won't be around for ever), desperately trying to maintain all the Linux myths.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's really sad / interesting seeing this left-brainer having such difficulty seeing the 'bigger picture'. They read the words but don't (or don't fully) understand the picture they paint. ;-(

So, I'll help him out ... when it's 'dark' (not even 'night' ...much lower solar energy available) and 'cold' (because it's winter and such things tend to go together) our energy needs (eg heating) are often greater and not lower, making 'solar' even less effective at meeting our needs 'at those times'.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Awww bless, at least he is trying to learn. ;-)

'Bugger all' can also mean 'effectively nothing of value', without actually being zero.

No wonder.

Ah, 'yer classic Linux advocate / self appointed troll hunter'. I suggest a change of direction / attitude for you. Drop the accusing and finger pointing and grow the F up.

Again, it matters not (to those of us who can actually see the bigger picture) about the instantaneous stats, what *is* important to those of us ITRW is the general outcome. Fact, in the winter when we generally need *more* energy, most (if not all) solar systems are likely to provide *less*. See, easy! ;-)

No, your comments and confusion tell most of us all we need to know (quite frankly) but thanks for playing. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

And of course even that is BS. In winter the peak output is about 20% of the summer peak output, yes, but the total output averaged over a day is lot less.

can be used to show that winter output averages less than 112% of summer output.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Imn Cambridgeshire December output is about 12% of June output

What you need to understand is that Greens always lie. They have to because the truth is highly inconvenient to the Green Faith.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

silly

Going to linux here has made a big improvement in reliability. It's much better at security against viruses and numerous kinds of malware attacks, and far less buggy than windows.

Sometimes it's harder, sometimes it's easier. I've certainly experienced both.

linux related forums, google etc. If you want to not work it out & find a tech there aren't nearly as many out there - but why? Windows needs an army of people to maintain it.

Oh for sure. That's people offering help for free for you.

there are windows and linux using wallies out there, obviously. That has very little to do with the choice of OS.

silly

sure

not been my experience. You may have a larger sample size on that

not really

you have some weird ideas. I've found the general mass of linux experts to be helpful mainly - though as you point out there isn't the same expectation of handholding there is with windows.

nonsense snipped. These kind of pointless arguments are a cliche that I'll leave you to. I have a life.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Every version brings more reasons to leave windows.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I can see you're as brain dead as ever.

Reply to
harry

Yes, possibly, 'reasons', yet they don't (or if they do they are going to solutions that aren't covered here):

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Maybe you gave the wrong link. But seriously, I don't care.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

+1

'Bugger all' is an imprecise term, subject to individual interpretation. IMO it means 'not a lot', which of course includes nothing. Adams quotes the Urban Dictionary which relies on contributions from the public, so hardly the ultimate arbiter on the English language. In this case the contributors are probably American. Why else would the two explanations refer to it as a British expression. A Brit would not say that.

I have no problem in accepting that within the context of domestic and national power requirements in winter, the output of solar panels at

20% of their summer peak is 'bugger all'. As I said, it's an imprecise term. To insist otherwise is foolish.
Reply to
Chris Hogg

Of course, as was fitting as a reply to a silly comment. I don't manage as many Linux installs as I do Windows (or OSX for that matter) but I know for a fact Linux is no more 'reliable' (as in less likely to lock up or hiccup) than any of the others. There are 'billions' of people running Windows every day who suffer no issues whatsoever. One of the first things I do on any Linux install is to add the 'Close crashed program' applet to the toolbar.

Quite, and very much part of why Linux isn't always 'better' across a wide range of hardware.

OK? Maybe you didn't have a well configured system. My wife often has her machine on most the day, I generally have my machine on most the day, neither of us have suffered ANY reliability issues for a long long time (outside hardware failures etc). The last thing to happen was her hard drive failed and I had a new drive re-imaged in 20 mins and she was back up as she was that day at 1300 (when the backups run).

Do you have a system that automatically backs up your Linux machines (to a bare bones restore level) to a server daily?

Yes, that might be the case, and why I often suggest it to people who CBA with all the security stuff.

I'd disagree. It's very rare that I see any effects of that if it is.

Of course, they are all 'OS's' and can al suffer the same issues.

Yup, I have been doing both for ages and the difference is that I can generally Google to a solution for a Windows issue that is straightforward and I can apply. Not the case with Linux, especially if it involves using the CLI.

I find what could be a solution to a Linux issue that involves say 10 CLI entries. I copy and paste the first 6 and they all seem to reflect the suggested response. The 7th gives me an unexpected response and that's a far as it goes. ;-(

None that I know personally there aren't.

Maybe for you, I can (and have) managed multiple machines (a company full in fact) on my own as an aside to my main role. But then I built all the machines myself and ran all the network cabling myself so that may have helped. ;-)

But, because most 'Linux geeks' are (by nature of what they are) 'Left brainers', they don't (and can never) understand the views, abilities and interests of people who aren't them. I have not found this the case with Windows or OSX and the problem is that 1) I rarely (if ever) have to ask for help on Windows but the few times I have I have been given good answers in good spirit. 2) I have asked more question on OSX and have also in general been given good useful (to me) replies.

3) I have had to ask many more questions re Linux because a) it's less uniform than Windows and OSX (more independently designed core modules) and the Linux Geeks, (typically the person I need to speak to or I would have solved it myself in the first place) have 'social issues' (as we have seen from them, more than any other subset) here.

Of course, and OSX and Android.

Not quite. As very few machines come with Linux pre-installed and very few people have ever heard of it, those people who end up running it have had to seek an alternative out and therefore *chosen* Linux over what they would have normally got, Windows. Even some of the OSX users have actually made the conscious choice to go to OSX, in spite of the solution often costing more money and being less compatible with the world than Windows. Most people drive a mass produced car, very few people built their own (like we did).

Nope, easily seen here and all over the world / web.

See, I have never said 'Windows is the best OS' or tried to force it on anyone. But if you want something that is the most common and therefore enjoy the greatest range of hardware, software and support, Windows is likely to be best (for those reasons).

I have been the de-facto IT support for ages for my family and most of their friends and family (it seems). I was also an IT instructor for 7 years (CNI, MCT, A+CT) and regularly 'chill' in my mates PC shop (one of the few left in a fairly large area).

Try asking a geek for help on Linux *without* suggesting you think Linux is the only thing since sliced bread and dare not to do as they suggest (like dump your existing hardware and go and buy all new 'Linux compatible' stuff) and let me know how you get on.

I have real world observations mate, taken over many years and they perfectly fit the classic 'Linux geek' stereotype. (Please note that I'm never talking about 'most Linux users' here as a large number have had Linux foisted on them (at work) and many more use Linux along with OSX, Windows and Linux and are therefore far more balanced and reasonable about it all).

I've found the general mass of Linux experts to be helpful mainly -

Agreed.

Quite, and doing so seems to offend them. I on the other hand have empathy and realise that not everyone (most people in fact) don't want to be computer geeks or are even really interested in computers per-se and *just want it working*. If there was anyone who would fix my Linux issues in return for me fixing their Windows, OSX, car or any other problems I would have done so years ago. There is no such person that I know of.

Unfortunately, none of it was 'nonsense', even if you didn't agree with or understand it.

Trust me, it's not just me who has experienced these people (the Linux geek's) at their worst. Maybe it's not anything to do with Linux but they are using Linux as an excuse to be like they are, just as 'Football hooligans' do with football?

I know, but then you aren't a 'Linux geek' are you? If you are and you seem quite reasonable you could be the very person I've been looking for. ;-)

So, this new PC I just built that is still locking up in Linux Mint

17.3 (and any other distro I've tried so far) but not in W10 ... and my mates PC with mostly different hardware that has also done the same in the same way:

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Quite. Language can be very complex and 'the real meaning' very difficult for non native speakers (even by county / state) difficult to ascertain. However, when in Rome ... ;-)

Indeed. ;-)

Quite.

And then to pick up on the reference to 'cold' (in the winter) and not the bigger picture of what that implies also reinforces the idea that someone wasn't 'getting' the bigger picture (because they can't (fair enough) or just to be difficult).

I've mentioned this before but I have had more conversations with an American online friend about our (different) use of words and language than with any other nationality I know. ;-)

Right, better go or I'll get bugger all done today (even though I will probably still get *something* done as such). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You are right, thanks:

Then may I suggest you refrain from making statements at all on such things, especially incorrect ones?

I suggest those stats clearly demonstrate that very few if any are 'leaving Windows' and if they are, it isn't because Windows is bad but because they are moving from a desktop / laptop and onto a(n Android / iOS) phone or tablet. That may change in the future if Windows goes rental or whatever but it's not happening yet.

So, Linux is Free (of cost, few care about any other kind, but then most OS's are free of cost, when you buy a PC these days) and OSX and W10 are also free to many as upgrades.

The 'reliability' factor of Linux works best when it's on some dedicated and inflexible hardware, like a server, router or TV, even Linus himself explains why the desktop is difficult for Linux (too many variables).

If your existing hardware *happens* to be fully Linux compatible (few go out and seek out 'Linux compatible hardware') and if the intended role happen to suite programs that ARE available on Linux then you do have Linux as a choice (and that's great). And I say 'choice' because many of the Linux distribution sites accept and suggest that you can 'Run Linux alongside Windows'. It doesn't have to be one or another and again, it's only the fanatics that suggest otherwise (with their constant Linux evangelism and denigration of all other OS's and their users).

But it's always a tiny minority of fanatics who spoil it for the vast majority, who in the main (and especially when it comes to OS's), CGAF! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yet it is still vulnerable and needs to be treated as such. There is no such thing as a connected computer that is invulnerable and any machine that has physical access to it can be hacked.

I hate to mention it but the open source software you have to use to make linux useful is full of bugs even if linux isn't (which it still is). In fact there is no evidence at all that there are less bugs in open source software than in any other software. There doesn't appear to be any mechanism why there would be less bugs either. As someone who has developed systems then I would say that if you have a million lines of code and you have found less bugs than another million lines of code than you need better testing.

Reply to
dennis

Very few home machines have physical access.

the fact is that in now...around 10 years on linux online I have yet to catch a virus or malware, and my linux server, though constantly attacked, has never been compromised.

It took about 10 months with windows back in the day, to catch a cold.

The same goes for Windows. All trhose 3rd party apps are just as full of bugs. The difference is of course that you wont get e.g. a website with perfectly legal code blowing up Ie10 and blue screening the machine.

Actually, there is rather a lot.

Nit because its open source per se, but because typically it has more people fixing it.

There does. More people have access to the source. More eyes, more man hours more fixes.

Indeed, but if you have a development team of tens of thousands to look for those bugs, they get fixed a lot quicker.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher