OT: More bad news for harry...

Solar panels take more energy than they make than they ever will generate in their lifetimes.
"In other words, an electrical supply system based on today’s PV technologies cannot be termed an energy source, but rather a non-sustainable energy sink or a non-sustainable NET ENERGY LOSS."
http://www.templar.co.uk/downloads/Ferroni%20y%20Hopkirk%20-%202016%20-%20Energy%20%20Return%20on%20Energy Invested%20(ERoEI)%20for%20photo.pdf
On Thu, 5 May 2016 14:12:26 +0100, The Natural Philosopher

"Not Found
The requested URL /downloads/Ferroni y Hopkirk - 2016 - Energy Return on EnergyInvested (ERoEI) for photo.pdf was not found on this server."
Cheers, T i m
T i m wrote:

I'm guessing that you needed (like me) to paste the last bit of that URL into your address bar. Your error message indicates that you didn't include a space between 'Energy' and 'Invested'.
On 05/05/16 14:46, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

new shorter URL
http://www.templar.co.uk/downloads/SolarEROEI.pdf

I did. You would have though he could have posted a shortened URL eh. ;-(

I didn't, well spotted, cheers. ;-)
I have always carried the thought that 'Solar panels generally don't generate the energy they took to produce in the first place' (suggesting they were a net loss from a worldly energy POV) but I see how they can be of use where you wouldn't normally have any power or to fleece other electricity consumers via FIT thefts as a form of personal income. ;-(
One of my neighbours (on the whole a 'good egg') who was talked into fitting a 4kW Solar PV system and when he first told me he had done so it was very obvious from his change of tone that he didn't realise who was paying for it for him. I'm not sure he would have gone ahead had he known.
Cheers, T i m
escribió:

If D i m can't spot a missing space due to a line break in a long URL, little wonder he's unable to make Linux work.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Windows 10: less of an OS, more of a drive-by mugging.

The issue of course is that I shouldn't *have* to make either work.
Not that any Linux Geek would ever be able to comprehend that. 'Making stuff work' is about all they have in their (sad) lives.
Cheers, T i m
On Saturday, 7 May 2016 09:31:11 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

widows is far more unreliable than linux of course. One of the big reasons people go linux is to avoid some of the problems that come with windows.
NT

Of course without people 'making stuff work' Harry wouldn't have his sad little life at all.
private property.
On Sat, 7 May 2016 12:11:06 +0100, The Natural Philosopher

No, you meant T i m but wrote T I M because you can't even manage your newsreader, let alone realise who you are replying to through all that red-mist and Linux advocacy. ;-(
How you getting on with those Windows only apps you have to run in Windows because there is nothing on Linux that can replace them?
I just picked up a little second user Fujitsu Q550 tablet that came with Windows 7 Pro. I reinstalled W7 (clean start) and thought I'd try Mint 17 while I was there. It won't even boot in 'Compatible Mode' from the DVD so I couldn't even see how it coped with the touchscreen etc (W7 detected it automatically).
And that's a shame, with only an Atom processor and 2G of RAM I thought that it might be worth a try at least, but if the program I intend running on it, LogView doesn't come in a Linux version or is more difficult to install than clicking on one .exe file, then that sad Tomlinson troll / stalker is right, I'll not be bothered to try and 'make it work' under Linux as *I* actually have more interesting things to do and a life! ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 07/05/2016 12:45, T i m wrote:

You could try http://xpenology.me/downloads/ on it. It has logging and lots of other things and is pretty resource light.
Don't tell TNP though as there is a bit of linux in it.
On Sat, 7 May 2016 13:08:32 +0100, dennis@home

<Checks it out>

Ah, so the chances are it won't run on this tablet hardware as a quick Google seems it's not 'Linux compatible' (I'm not surprised however as even Linus accepts that the desktop (rather than server and let alone tablets etc) environment is hard for Linux).
Cheers, T i m
They're both tedious fuckwits. Killfile = lossless compression.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Windows 10: less of an OS, more of a drive-by mugging.

That is untrue. Windows10 is very reliable and most people that use linux do so because they have only used windows NT or earlier and don't have a clue like TNP.
Windows 10 has a lot of automated tools to ensure a none computer literate person can run it reliably.
If they follow the instructions/prompts the machine will be backed up automatically, check pointed automatically and fixed if anything goes wrong with little user intervention unlike linux.
On 07/05/16 13:02, dennis@home wrote:

Windows10 is very unreliable and most people that use linux do so because they have used windows NT or later and have a clue, like TNP.

Except as this thread demonstrates, they dont work.

there, corrected that for you.
Windows 10 is turning into the best advert for Linux there is.
its shoes.
On Sat, 7 May 2016 14:35:17 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
<snip lies and denial>

Linux has had several opportunities to get it's foot in the door with ordinary desktop users with Vista and W8 etc but still managed to miss the boat.
Why? Well, partly because very few have ever heard of it and of those who have haven't tried it and those who have have generally been 'put off' the first time they try to install their favourite program and game to only learn 'Linux isn't Windows'. It's a similar thing when trying to find a 'Linux compatible' printer or any external hardware for that matter, where it can often be a matter of 'research' or 'pot luck'. Not much good when you find something isn't actually supported and then try to get tech support or your money back.
You 'This doesn't work with / on Linux.'
Them 'Sorry sir, doesn't work with what?'
You 'Linux, the best OS in the world'.
Them 'Sorry sir, if it doesn't mention it on the box then you shouldn't have bought it ...'
Cheers, T i m
On 07/05/2016 15:18, T i m wrote:

The linux people have rights to that as in "if it doesn't work with linux you were stupid to buy it".
On Sat, 7 May 2016 17:53:24 +0100, dennis@home

Yes, theirs is a strange world where the tail wags the dog. ;-(
Luckily, they (Linux users) are a minority that doesn't really seem to be expanding (or not at any rate):
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
... and the strange, blinkered evangelists, like TNP and his cronies represent an old guard and even smaller minority (that won't be around for ever), desperately trying to maintain all the Linux myths.
Cheers, T i m
On Saturday, 7 May 2016 14:35:15 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Every version brings more reasons to leave windows.
On Sat, 7 May 2016 23:53:35 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, possibly, 'reasons', yet they don't (or if they do they are going to solutions that aren't covered here):
Cheers, T i m