OT: Moaning council

Typical moaning councils, do they ever do anything constructive?
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jeremy-clarkson-causes-flap-after-8763872

Mine has just done. Automated the watering of the park next to my house and the whole thing was done by just the one bloke and his dog, quite literally, with a couple of machines, a trencher for the pipes and a little mini thing to move and put the dirt back after. Not obvious whether he works for the council or is a contractor and I didn't think to ask he when I was talking to him.

Mine is still wasting money doing up roads which are perfectly serviceable. They ought to ask the council tax payers where their priorities lie.
--
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Ours has just done that and got a great swag of stupid stuff fools want to see done. We're having the council election next weekend and one of the clowns who is running for mayor also had a discussion on the local facebook community notice board where one stupid cow who had been campaigning for the cemetery to be fenced for years got stuck into him about that. There has been some vandalism there over the years but the fools can't even manage to work out that no fence will make any difference to that unless it has manned gates with security guards on the gates and that that is utterly unaffordable. The clown running for major even proposed in that discussion that they have a fence down just one side of the cemetery with single gate that is locked except when a burial is happening, but with the other two sides with no fence.
You likely can imagine what my comments about that were like.

We'd be better off with no council at all. Just have some basic services like bin collections. In fact, just privatise them like the electricity.
--
When you want a man to play with you, wear a full-length black nightgown with buttons all over it.
Sure it's uncomfortable, but it makes you look just like his remote control.

You wouldn't actually. When there is no operation providing the most basic services like rubbish collection and local roads, no one wants to live there anymore and the place ends up imploding into a ghost town.

Not possible without a council. In spades with the local roads.

Not even possible with bin collections and local roads there is no way to collect the revenue with local roads.
Yes I'm not convinced that 'hot boxing' of breaking up roads is in fact making ehe road last any longer. It really needs it all skimming off and relaying, but more than that in many parts of the area the pavements are very dangerous for pedestrians as well, but somehow the same enthusiasm for fixing it does not seem to be there nor is the co-ordination of various services so they don't dig it up one after the other like is in place for roads now. Brian
--
----- -
Actually, yes they are banned there but some have in fact been used to inspect the cliffs for signs of subsidence and to see what birds are actually doing. However I suspect in this case they did not ask for the permission and sign all the documents needed to get that permission. Modern Drones are tolerated a lot more by birds than some of the older really noisy unreliable ones. Brian

My council spends money resurfacing sections of road that seem OK, but omits to do nearby sections which have a dangerously potholed surface. It's frustrating when you see signs "Road will be closed for two weeks" and you think "Ah good, they'll sort out those potholes", only to find that they've done everything *except* the potholes :-(

Does your council have a website for reporting potholes?
--
"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores
On Mon, 05 Sep 2016 09:38:33 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

Better use a 3rd party site/app like https://www.fixmystreet.com
provides an independent audit, if needed (bearing in mind some road defects are potential deathtraps). Stops the council claiming "they never knew".
I was idly pondering while driving recently, that for all the shit "features" car manufacturers think we need, a really useful addition would be a button to press which would note the location for later upload to a site like fixmystreet.
Faults I have reported via FMS have been fixed in time. Although the last repair may have been hastened when I asked my local council for the mineral rights to it. (I called them up and said the hole was so deep coal was being thrown up, and could I sell it ?).
On 06/09/2016 11:16, Jethro_uk wrote:

Not all councils will accept their reports.
Andy

Kent County Council has a site where you report potholes. I haven't looked at it for a few years, but back then you brought up a map, scrolled to the place where the hole was and clicked on the map. There was also a box to type in where it was. Seemed to be effective.
--
"Please stop telling us what you feel. Please stop telling us what your
intuition is. Your intuitive feelings are of no interest whatsoever,
On Wed, 07 Sep 2016 22:39:17 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

Yes, I've used it for that, and for signs and street lamps. You can also see if it's already been reported.
On Mon, 05 Sep 2016 09:02:49 +0100, NY wrote:

Classic one round here. The road is a busy one leading to a housing estate and on to a through route. They resurfaced it.
They didn't bother to resurface a little parking bay by the shops. Yes, it is adopted; they even recently put up 30 minute parking restrictions on it and sent someone round to check.
The light isn't good but you can see it's bad if you look round a bit:
https://goo.gl/maps/5Lrzsb1xGH22
James Wilkinson wrote:

I've been thinking about retarmacing the top few metres of our drive (it's mostly paving stones, but the end is tarmac), since it's been looking a bit tired recently. I can home one day last month to find that it had been done for me. I've still no idea why - it wasn't particularly bad, and they didn't do anywhere else in our road. I assume the council had something to do with it.

I have a tarmac drive end that they maintain, very odd. Stupid way the estate was built by Bett Homes I guess. Mind you, since they gave up the bush area and told me to maintain it (which I loved - I didn't even know it was mine! - it's now part of my front garden), they may stop doing the tarmac bit. Might have to get more monoblock done....
--
An expert is someone who takes a subject you understand and makes it sound confusing.

On 18:04 4 Sep 2016, James Wilkinson wrote:

Regularly breaking the rules by loutish behaviour has netted Top Gear's high rollers a small fortune. I'm not sure I sympathise with their difficulties especially when they're littl emore than publicity stunts.
See:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2848045/Top-Gear-high- rollers-Clarkson-s-country-estate-Hammond-s-helicopter-James-s- private-plane.html
or http://tinyurl.com/p97l8xx
"What DO Top Gear's high rollers spend their ?55million fortune on? From Clarkson's country estate to Hammond's helicopter and James May's private plane... the luxury lives of three BBC kings"
On 05/09/2016 14:14, pamela wrote:

If you're saying their accumulated wealth is a problem, then I don't see why. They put their energies into making a successful TV series and reaped the rewards.
Open for anyone to do the same or similar...

And spending is re-cycling the money to others with an offtake to HMRC.

--
Tim Lamb