OT:Low Temp washes, like coughs, spreads diseases

For Brian

A washing machine used in a german hospotal for washing baby clothes at low temperatures spread contamination.

Andrew

Well of course it did. I'd imagine in an environment where infection could be a real problem I'd have thought boiled washes were the bare minimum. Somebody has not thought it through again. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Drying the clothes is also an important part of the washing process.

Reply to
alan_m

And a good steam-ironing to finish off.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Well like doh?

In my view this should be obvious when provisioning a service like this and specs set up to make sure the correct conditions prevail. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Didn?t a similar story surface a few years back? So to be followed by the adverts on TV for stuff to add to you wash to kill the little nasties. No, I?m not suggesting the cool wash is good/safe etc or the companies did any more than spot an opportunity to sell a product.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Sounds like D.M. bollix to me. Laundry in hospitals is carried out in very large central laundries. The chances of anything getting through the processes in use there is extremely remote.

Reply to
harry

Most colds are spread by touching BTW. Light switches, door handles and now computer keypads are the main causes.

Reply to
harry

"Researchers reported the risks of energy-saving domestic washers after finding a one such machine, used in a German hospital"

Reply to
Andy Burns

This has been known for years. It's why domestic machines are not used in hospitals for patients clothing. (See the Kalgon advert.

Reply to
harry

I've not heard much about MRSA recently, I wonder if they have solved that problem.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No, they test for it and isolate people with it. Not really a solution.

Reply to
invalid

Since MR stands for Multi (drug) Resistant, and we are running out of effective antibiotics, then the answer is no.

This is generally only a problem for hospital inpatients though.

Staph Aureus is everywhere, including your skin so the normal population shouldn't lose any sleep over it. Just don't pester your GP for antibiotics for a cold or 'flu'.

Reply to
Andrew

ahem .... Methicillin Resistant

Reply to