kenmore washing machine control problem - fixed

Posted about this back in November 2010 - 20 yr. old Kenmore washing machine (60 series) - has mechanical timer (dial type) control. You turn the knob to the cycle you want (many clicks as you're turning) then pull the knob out to start. The machine would stop in the middle of pumping out, but if you pulled outwards on the knob would start again. I took things apart a little but did not see any obvious loose connections or anything, it seemed to be a problem internal to the control unit.

After shopping for a replacement control timer and finding out it would cost $125, I figured it was time to look for a new machine. I started reading reviews online and looked at the Consumer Reports reviews. It seems that in the last couple decades washing machines have become more water and energy efficient, but in the process also became harder to use, more troublesome (lots of bitching and moaning in the user reviews), more finicky, and much slower - cycle times of well over an hour, versus about half an hour for the one I have. And the guy at the appliance store I went to said they don't last as long as they used to either. Well all that changed my mind, I bought the control from RepairClinic.com and installed it today. Not too difficult a repair. Now I hope the washer lasts for a while longer. I like energy and water conservation as much as the next person. But the convenience and simplicity of a top loading washer that fills up with water and washes the clothes in a reasonable amount of time - well I figure I did some good for the environment by not tossing out a fixable washer. -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff

FWIW, w've been able to keep a 30 year old Maytag running just fine with repair clinic help. Replacing the drive motor was a wrenching decision because of the $$, but after reviewing the appliance stock at our local dealer, the decision was easier. Seems to me that modern appliances just don't have much real value any more. All frills and poor performance. All cloaked in the phony Energy Star BS...

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I lived overseas for years where front-loaders were typical and top- loaders were rare. There's definitely been a decline in quality for front- loaders over the years, with lots of poor-quality plastic parts and electronics used in the modern ones. That and those of us in North America seem to get screwed on price - there's a huge premium on front- loading machines that doesn't seem to exist in Europe (factoring in exchange rates, typical salary etc.).

I'd love a good front-loader like the ones of 20 or 30 years ago, but they just don't seem to exist any more - Miele are about the only manufacturer that I consistently hear good things about (but I've also heard many at time that their spares are expensive - so while they are reliable, it can be costly when something does go wrong)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson