OT - LED torch

Same here, Eneloops, so as to avoid aflat feeling. Ata quid each, I bought half a dozen and have them around the house. Also one in the loft, just in case the power fails when I'm up there. The light is good on Eneloop and, although the internal resistance is low, the lower voltage should allow for that (I hope).

Reply to
PeterC

Bit like a cheap plastic clock ('free' from Viking) that had a pendulum. On putting in the AA cell I realised that the pendlum was powered by the cell and did naff all, so removed it on the grounds that it would just drain the cell by going tat-tat, tat-tat.

Reply to
PeterC

The head torch I use for running is immensely bright, single CREE LED. I can blind myself with the bounce back from reflective road signs!

It does come with a large and heavy Lithium rechargeable battery pack, which runs the thing at max output for 2 hours.

But, for running at night, it's the best thing.

Reply to
HarpingOn

or grandkids. There was a handle to squeeze that appeared to charge up a ba ttery or capacitor. But I discovered that the torches would run for many mo nths without "charging". Then one fell apart, so I had a good look inside. There were three non-rechargeable button cells inside. Once those went flat the torch was next to useless. The generator gave a short pulse of light, maybe enough so I could go looking for a decent torch. So the generator tor ches are a scam.

This is the torch:

It says "Requires no batteries. Operates on internal dynamo generator." I think I will mention to the shop that it actually does need batteries, an d they should not buy any more. If they ignore me I shall make big trouble.

Reply to
Matty F

I have that exact torch (from eBay, but not that seller). It's extremely bright on the full setting and very well made. The zoom is smooth and works well, but at full zoom it projects a quite sharp image of the LED itself which is a little odd.

I run mine off a 4000 mAh Ultrafire Li-ion battery and the lifetime is excellent.

If you buy 18650 (or other) Li-ion's off eBay the free charger they often include is rubbish. I bought a Nitecore Intellicharge which cost more than the torch and two batteries together, but by all accounts is probably worth it.

Reply to
Reentrant

In article , PeterC writes

I've got the same thing but it's in the shape of a cat and the pendulum is the tail. Had it for years

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I'd have kept that one!

Reply to
PeterC

We have gone the other way and have a proper wind-up wall clock, with a real pendulum. The only problem with it, is it also chimes, which is very nice, but 22:00, 23:00 and 00:00 are a right pain if you're watching telly!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

If you want a decent one look for those with a single high power 1W or greater LED - they really will throw a decent beam. The ones with a cluster of 5mm LEDs are more novelty toys. ALDI/LIDL had a nice one about this time last year for a £5 aluminium construction & very bright.

Reply to
Martin Brown

If 00:00 is bad, what's 24:00 like?

Reply to
PeterC

You want of these bad boys, works well in your Maglite 6D-cell.

I find it very useful when out walking the dog at night. I don't as such us e a torch, but many other people do, and instead of shining it at the floor in front of them, they seem to like pointing it at people, to see who's th ere. All very nice, but it does then blind me for the next couple of minute s. Does it not occur to them that if they need a torch to see where they're going, what it must be like to be blinded by one.

So, once in a blue moon, I take mine out with me and shine it back at them. It's amazing how quickly they stop pointing their torch in my face.

Reply to
Road_Hog

Look for the word 'Cree' in the ads. A single, but rather special high output type of LED. They come in various powers, but all are extremly powerful and produce a very even illuminiation over the entire area of the beam. Lidl had some small focusable ones on sale for £8, the size of small torch, but the output is astounding, enough to light a field up using a couple of AA's.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I like it! I have a big maglite somewhere, I must check that it still works.

Reply to
newshound

Does the focusing still function?

Reply to