OT: Kindle and other e-readers

Having just returned from a weekend away where I used a new kindle paperwhite a fair bit, I'd say they've crack this :-)

All the advantages of electronic ink over LCD, but with a pretty good light built in. Screen easy to read in complete darkness, but without the glare.

I like it :-) Much better than an ipad like device for reading IMO.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

The new paperwhite kindle is lit, and has much improved contrast. I've just returned from being away for the weekend and I used one heavily. Impressed.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Good to have some user comments on the paperwhite. Whilst I have been very happy with my 3G keyboard version I think that a paperwhite could go to the top of my xmas presents list.

-- rbel

Reply to
rbel

In article , fred writes

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

But so do other readers. You can convert other formats to Amazon format. PDF and mobi are trivial, just email them to the device on wi-fi or use the cable.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Now I'm sure this'll come across as "kobo fan boy", especially as I haven't seen a kindle paperwhite (not officially available until mid-December in the UK?) but the mobileread.com forums seem to have plenty of Americans who've tried the kindle paperwhite, found flaws with the screen, sent it back, bought a kobo glo and loved it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns wrote: [snip]

Pah! I spit on your Kobo and see you a Nook.

Reply to
Steve Firth

If only 12 hours late in doing so

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Never seen one either, B&N apparently can't be bothered to sell them here.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Apparently John Lewis are or will be selling them - it was announced weeks, or maybe months, ago.

Found this:

"The NOOK is planned for launch online and in all John Lewis shops on Monday 15 October."

have not noticed one - not that I have exactly made any effort but might easily have done so having been in the right parts of the shop recently.

Reply to
polygonum

They're wasting a lot of money on TV adverts then.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You watch adverts? How quaint ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

You watch the stuff in between with the poor production values? How bizarre.

Reply to
Steve Firth

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012, "polygonum" writ:

A very good business move IMHO. Any business worth its salt would do the same. I wish I could but I'm based in the UK.

Reply to
Percy

and a more convenient size.

read it in bed

How about the ipad mini ? well obviously no one can try it yet but.....

Reply to
whisky-dave