OT: Kindle and other e-readers

I just embiggen mine.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Interesting topic, everyone seems to rave but very few comments about the display other than references to the more recent built in front lighting.

The odd times I've played with display kindles the blanking/blacking of the screen on each page turn I found annoying. I guess it's a feature of the static display technology, it has to be fully reset to show new information.

I have a Samsung tablet I don't find the display on that glarey but then I've found the brightness control...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

What a perfectly cromulant comment.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Some early Kindles support MP3

Reply to
The Other Mike

It's weeks long battery life that sets the static displays apart plus direct sunlight readability. On the refresh issue, the Kobo has a presetable count between full refresh cycles (up to 6) with intermediate clears apparently provided by writing a neg of the current page to the screen which leaves minute but increasingly noticeable artefacts. I haven't found either kind of refresh to be intrusive.

Reply to
fred

formatted, the epub doesn't force a specific font or margins like some badly formatted do.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You can turn the front-lighting off on the glo/paperwhite models and use them as normal e-ink.

On the kobo you can control how many pages (between 1 to 6) it shows with incremental erase and re-draw before it does a full wipe and draw, on the Touch (800x600) I used to notice the ghost image building up after 4 pages, with the Glo (1024x758 not a typo) I have it set to 6 pages and don't see any ghosts (there's one part of the GUI that by default shows a black bar at the bottom of the screen, with page numbers and brightness slider drawn in inverse video over that, which does show ghosting, but you can select not to have the black background)

This man is clearly a root vegetable!

Reply to
Andy Burns

I was thinking of other book formats. .azw is just mobi with a DRM wrapper so there is no real conversion. .tif and .jpg stay in that format, I think.

You email to snipped-for-privacy@free.kindle.com, instead of snipped-for-privacy@kindle.com. The item isn't downloaded by the Kindle until it's on wi-fi.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ipad is way too heavy to hold in bed while reading. Kindle is much lighter and a more convenient size.

Yes it needs illumination but who wants to read a book in the dark ?

Reply to
fred

friend left a Kindle after her in a hotel in Italy and the hotel posted it back to her home address. If it had been a book they would likely have binned it.

Reply to
fred

a more convenient size.

The original iPad (which I have) is relatively heavy - but later versions are considerably lighter. And, in fact, I think the book I am currently reading is actually heavier, towards the same area, and much, much thicker than the original iPad.

Reply to
polygonum

and a more convenient size.

mmm but I was comparing it to a Kindle, not a book.

SWMBO has a late version iPad but she has to sit up and rest it on her knee to read it in bed

Reply to
fred

When daughter comes here on her hols she often sits out in the smoking shelter with her Kindle and as the light fades she changes the text size from 8pt . . . up to VERY BIG

John

Reply to
JTM

There are so many replies to this thread that I cannot read them all, so if I am repeating other information I am sorry. Kindle e-reader is good, however it is like Apple, in as much it uses a specific format. Other readers are more flexible, you can get software that converts them to some extent, but it is a faff. There are loads of free and very cheap e-books available on the net. Also you can join a library I belong to both Manchester and Newcastle under Lyme, though there are many more. You can "borrow" books from them at no charge, however this is where Kindle is at a distinct disadvantage as it will not read them! Personally I have a Kindle, it is rarely out of my hands. When 'er indoors brings home a must read library book I am more than happy to return to my Kindle, especially at night in bed. I use a special light so I can continue to read without disturbing 'er indoors.

Reply to
Broadback

Yep, 10" tablets are too big for easy/extended use held in one hand and operated by the other.

7" tablets are much better will fit into a coat pocket, can be used as above without fatigue. I note that apple have U-turned on the the production of a 7" iThingy.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bob Eager wrote: [snip]

Thanks for that. I'll try and remember - although by the time I have WiFi I may as well download via USB.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That's a perfectly cromulent thing to do.

Reply to
Steve Firth

[FX: Waves]

Me too. For example, when herself is watching some dross on the TV and I want to read. Yes, I could go in another room, but I'd rather be companiable.

Reply to
Huge

Yup similar to my needs. My wife likes "subdued" aka "gloomy" lighting while watching TV, I can't read the Kindle screen in that light so I read books in Kindle on my iPhone. I'm really not interested in who is killing whom in Yorkshire/Manchester/The East End whereas the other 1/2 finds it interesting.

Also different sleep habits. She turns out light and is asleep in seconds. She can't sleep if there is a bedside light on. I need to wind down before sleep which means 15-30 minutes of reading. A backlit screen set to night time mode (white text, black screen) is ideal.

Current Kindle is bright light only. The display is grey on grey. I hope the paper white version has better contrast.

Reply to
Steve Firth