Q, simulated wood flooring

I want to put down a look-a-like wood floor in a Florida room. I have dogs, mostly old, and want a flooring they can walk on with ease whereas wood has a tendency to slip out from under them. I guess what I=92m asking for would be a simulated flooring that is somewhat soft. I=92ve seen some in Home Depot that looked very realistic, but not sure of the brands. Any help from those that used products of this type I=92d sure appreciate your input... Thanks.

Ray,

Reply to
Ledgewalker

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 05:43:17 -0800 (PST), the infamous Ledgewalker scrawled the following:

Curious! Where does it go when it slips out from under them? ;)

Look for some woodgrained indoor-outdoor carpet, Ledge.

-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What is often called 'Flex floor' comes in many 'prints' like stone and wood grain. It will give a dog better traction.

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Which current authors do think might be Maugham's equal, if any?

Reply to
LDosser

I was thinking cork too. Though it may scratch easer than the simulated wood floor.

Something I have noticed with the simulated wood laminate flooring is that it has a Formica like quality about it. It's slicker than a wood floor, harder surface less forgiving. It's said to be very durable but I think it may be all wrong for your pooches.

They make vinyl flooring that looks a lot like hardwood flooring. You may have even seen it in yout local retail store. For awhile WalMart had it in some of their stores. I think Home Depot carries something along those lines.

K.

Ledgewalker wrote:

Reply to
Kate

How small and rowdy are your pooches? We have a old but still ornery

100 pound German Shepherd and natural oak floors. Occasionally he gets into a bit of a broad-slide but he learned to adapt. His hips are starting to fail, which makes standing up difficult on any surface. But he usually lies down on an area rug so he can get traction to get back up. On the other hand, small dogs can be much more hyper.

Maybe what I'm delicately trying to say is "are you sure you want to configure an expensive floor change around old dogs." When they get up in age they are usually short-timers.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 21:27:57 -0800, the infamous "LDosser" scrawled the following:

Since I haven't read Maugham, I couldn't tell ya, Lob. That quote is from the Motivational Quote of the Day site. (std disclaimer applies)

blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
LDosser

Whaddayamean, huh, huh, whadayyawoofmean, huhsnarf, snarf, huh? Whaddayamean, huh, huh, whadayyawoofmean, huhsnarf, snarf, huh? Whaddayamean, huh, huh, whadayyawoofmean, huhsnarf, snarf, huh? Whaddayamean, huh, huh, whadayyawoofmean, huhsnarf, snarf, huh? Whaddayamean, huh, huh, whadayyawoofmean, huhsnarf, snarf, huh? Whaddayamean, huh, huh, whadayyawoofmean, huhsnarf, snarf, huh? Whaddayamean, huh, huh, whadayyawoofmean, huhsnarf, snarf, huh? Whaddayamean, huh, huh, whadayyawoofmean, huhsnarf, snarf, huh? Whaddayamean, huh, huh, whadayyawoofmean, huhsnarf, snarf, huh?

Reply to
Robatoy

Like this:

Swingman

Reply to
Robatoy

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 20:17:15 -0800, the infamous "LDosser" scrawled the following:

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt it. Most folks who have said interesting enough things to be quoted centuries later were interesting authors.

Which of his novels have you enjoyed, and why? (in ten words or more)

I just finished Stephen Hunter's _Hot Springs_ this morning. We vacationed there often when I was growing up on Little Rock AFB, so it was an unusual feeling to be reading a fiction novel about it set 20 years before I was there. When you simply have to be elsewhere, his novels take you there. I've been really pushing it for the past several months, so it's nice to have that kind of distraction and peaceful hobby to diffuse the stresses.

-- The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Of Human Bondage. A succinct examination of human relationships.

I've got a Sony Reader - birthday gift from SWMBO last year - that I carry with me everywhere for the waiting times. Right now I'm rereading Kim Robinson's Mars Trilogy. Just started Green Mars last night. Have another half dozen or so books on the reader just in case ...

Reply to
LDosser

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 18:09:52 -0800, the infamous "LDosser" scrawled the following:

I said "ten words or more", silly.

How large is it, and how do you like it? Does it use the same tech as Kindle, eInk? The problem with those is the cost of books. I recycle most of my books (both ways), so they cost very little compared to the Kindle prices. How are prices for the Sony formatted ebooks? Ghastly, like the Kindle's, I'll bet.

I took a paperback to the client's house the other day when waiting for the delivery of some lumber. I only got 3 pages read before he got there. He had the coolest 3-wheeled forklift hung on the back of the truck. All 3 wheels articulated so he backed it off the truck, drove up next to the truck, lifted the load, backed up 6' to clear the truck, turned all 3 wheels instead of the forklift, and crabbed it into the lot, dropping the lumber lengthwise in the drive as I asked. Very cool. I forgot all about Stephen Hunter after that. I'd seen the backpack type of forklift before, but never in crab action. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------- California's 4 Seasons: Fire, Flood, Drought, & Earthquake --------------------------------------

* NoteSHADE(tm) Laptop Glare Guards

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's 5 1/8" x 7 1/8" and weighs about 10.5oz. I love it. I was reading a used hard bound copy of Swarm when I got it and spent $6 or so for the e-book. Went from hefting 6# of book in bed to less than a pound.

It's similar. Not backlit and real easy on the eyes. Three font sizes, bookmarks, auto return to last page, usb charging, takes PC flash memory cards and Sony memory sticks, but, as I said, I've got about a half dozen books on there right now including Stephen King's Dome and it's not whining for flash yet. Recently got a software upgrade that will allow reading almost anything including PDF, EPUB, and BBeB but not sure about Kindle. Books seem about the same price as Kindle but older stuff is real cheap and there are always a few freebies. Stephen Hunter's Havana is $7.59. Kindle is selling for $6.39, but Amazon is hell bent on pushing their proprietary format. George Hunter - Limb From Limb $5.31. Jason Pinter - The Hunters $0.00. Dennis Lehane - Shutter Island $5.19 - another recommended.

I can also read any of my books on any computer I have the Sony Reader software installed on. My wife can read the same book I am reading on the Reader on her laptop. Mine is the PRS 505 and I think it is just about the greatest thing since sliced bread. :o) They have a couple new models including a touch screen.

Cons: Graphics might as well be non-existent. May be better in the newst model as they advertise newspaper downloads. And, if you drop it in the tub, well it might be all she wrote!

I still do some of that, especially if I want something heavy on graphics.

See above for prices.

Seen the three wheelers, but never in action. sounds neat!

Reply to
LDosser

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 23:30:52 -0800, the infamous "LDosser" scrawled the following:

That's the one downside of a large, glossy-papered book.

That's a near instant strikeout for me. B&W is another. I generally can't sit through ten pages of ebook on a tube or LCD monitor, so I'm not sure if I could use eInk or similar technology.

But, with batteries, not all YOU wrote.

I think that will continue indefinitely, or at least until readers get to be commodities, like RAM and other computers/accs have become.

It was, indeed.

-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Reply to
Larry Jaques