OT:Just thought of a toaster feature

SWMBO is talking about wanting a replacement toaster ... briefly perusing Amazon for reviews, it occurred to me that one feature that some might find useful on a 2 lever 4 slice machine, is the ability to tell it that you want both sides to finish at the same time, irrespective of what level of toasting is required. I like lightly done toast, SWMBO likes well done toast.

I wonder how it could be done ... some sort of timer chip ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Put one slice in, toast for a short time, stop toaster if necessary, insert second slice, toast to completion.

Reply to
Davey

Despite being able to put a man on the moon and pit a computer against a chess grandmaster, noone has ever produced a commercially viable toaster that can reliably produce toast of a user chosen brownness irrespective of bread type, room temperature, recent toaster activity etc.

So essentially - your doomed...

Reply to
Tim Watts

When you say two lever, you are presumably referring to those weird toasters with two toasters inside. I have a four slot single lever which of course all come up together and all are done the same. What you suggest sounds like you really need a kind of dimmer swich controlling the independent toasters so that the timing is the same but the elements can be dimmed on one or both.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Its very possible, but most people find a wife is cheaper.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You've never been divorced, have you?

I'd sooner pay out for 1,000 toasters!!

Reply to
Fredxx

Just speculating here: start and end both slots at the same times (as usual on a 1-lever 2-slot toaster), but add a control that reduces the power to the heating elements on one slot (maybe something like a dimmer switch).

Reply to
Adam Funk

so as to produce dry bread instead of toast?

The answer is simple. about 3,000 infra red LED pixels and a feedback system based on reflected visible light to give any sort of overall toast intensity you want. Heck you could even print the Shroud of Turin on your toast, on moveable feast days.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What about a toaster which comes with a wireless smoke detector which makes it pop-up?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hum, how much radiated heat can you get from an IR LED? LED technology has come on greatly in recent times.

Lets think, two slice toaster, four sides, 1KW total, 250W per side, 20 x

20 LED matrix, 400 LEDs, just over 0.5W each, that might be ball park possible! Always assuming suitable high power long wave IR LEDs are out there.

Pity the idea is now public, no chance of a patent...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

sm_jamieson

maybe

The printing toaster prototype is 11 years old.

Adam Funk

You cannot get the wireless smoke these days.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

We should've listened to Tesla.

Reply to
Adam Funk

well I thiught ofa better one.

Use a CO2 laser and scanning technology. to alseer print scorching onto toast!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not cheaper, but it's rather painful sticking your c*ck in the toaster.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

yeah, but you wont catch herpes,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My cheap toaster (Kenwood label) allows you to lift the toast without interfering with the timer. Handy for removing one slice early.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

My non-cheap toaster (Dualit) does too!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Why not two two slice toasters? Probably cheaper than a 4 slice one anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)