Humming Toaster

Breville Lightening two slot electronic toaster, such as

Loud humming starts as soon as I put bread in and depress the lever and stops when toast is done. Toast is still done properly. I've tried pressing on the side of the casing and in certain places this deadens the sound somewhat. Tried Googling but can't find any explanation.

Reply to
Wesley

"Wesley" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Possibly the magnet that holds down the mechanism until the timer releases it. Maybe has a crub on the face that is causing the bit that sticks to the magnet to vibrate.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It is almost certainly crumbs in the solenoid that holds the pop up mechanism in the down position. Open it up and clean it out.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Does it always hum the same tune?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Well providing its not arcing anywhere, easily tested with an am radio, then most likely some of the wires on the heating element are vibrating. If the toaster is a metal body one these tend to be more prone to this I have found. I guess eventually the element might fil due to the movement but at present, asuming no arcing, its just an annoying thing.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

My brother in law had to throw theirs out because it started humming in another way, for reasons best known to itself their cat climbed on to it and crapped in a slot. First they knew about it was the funny smell at breakfast time followed a few seconds later by hot cat turd and toast pinging up. Almost makes toast toppers or pop tarts look good.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Best laugh I had all day :-)

Reply to
Greg Carr

He who laughs last, laughs loudest. You are commenting on an 8-year old post !

Reply to
Andrew

That is a very long hum. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Brian Gaff (Sofa) has brought this to us :

What tune?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.