Somewhat OT - Electric toaster slot size

Why is the slot size in almost all electric toasters about a quarter of an inch less than the height (the longest dimension) of almost all normal-sized sliced loaves? The only way you can use them is either first to trim the excess off the slice, or to insert it vertically, and toast first the bottom, then the top - which usually leads to it being rather dried-out and unevenly toasted.
--
Ian

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 22:46:47 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

Our toaster's slot is wide (long?) enough to take a normal slice sideways.
--

TOJ.

My bread is square so that makes no difference.
I have been toying with the idea of DIYing a toaster from scratch using an arduino but haven't gotten around to it.
On Thursday, 18 December 2014 23:06:30 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

http://www.ee.ryerson.ca/~elf/hack/ktoast.html

Even the first one won't work, there is a lot of variation in the bread and how its positioned in the toaster.
It's a lot more complicated than it looks even with just bread.
But since I do it every day, it likely is worth a decent toaster.
On 18/12/2014 22:57, The Other John wrote:

Same here.
--
Colin Bignell

I just accept that the edge that ends up on top doesn't get as well cooked as the edge that ends up down the bottom.
I agree tho, it makes no sense to not make the toaster deeper and there is not good reason I can see that they don't.
On 18/12/2014 22:46, Ian Jackson wrote:

More importantly, why are they designed so the cheese keeps falling off?
Cheers
--
Syd

Ian Jackson wrote:

Because they were designed for bread size at the time but bakers keep changing bread size?

I've seen no evidence that the mass produced bread has changed in size.
On 19/12/2014 00:32, F Murtz wrote:

In the UK bread was controlled by statute from 1266 until 2008. Even though bakers are no longer controlled, the vast majority is still sold as 400gm or 800gm sizes; metrications of 14oz and 28oz, a reduction from 1lb and 2lb that was introduced during WW2 to save flour.
--
Colin Bignell

Ian Jackson wrote

A huge number of people are making their own bread now The bread from machines is somewhat larger than bought bread, which makes toasting a pita. Only Russell Hobbs make toasters capable of holding larger slices, but their toasters are shite. They get very hot and browning can be a lottery. Upside is - they're cheap around £22.

Yes.

Nope. None of the dozen or more bread machines I have does.

No problem from my point of view, the only real quirk is that the edge of the toast that ends up at the top when in the toaster doesn't get toasted quite as much as the edge that ends up at the bottom of the toaster. It is visibly a little lighter, but that's all. And that is bread from a bread machines.

That isnt true either, most obviously with the toasters that are designed to be able to toast two slices at once in each long slot.

Can't say I have ever tried one.

Nothing like as cheap as from garage/yard sales.
I notice the one I am currently using cost me $2 and works fine.

Just hope the guy that owned the toaster before he sold it at the yard sale didn't do this to it? :
http://images.dangerousminds.net/uploads/images/15Peter20portaitofDavidBowie.jpg
or actually, i bet most of us on here hopes he did :D
On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 01:03:54 +0000, Sailor wrote:

Aha! Pita bread!
(I'll get me coat...)
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.

I think I'll join you. Wait for me! :-)
--
J B Good

Ian Jackson wrote:

I don't trim it, but first stick it in vertically, which slightly shrinks the slice, so halfway through toasting, I turn it to horizontal and that evens up the browning.
But I can't see how Dualit don't notice during their extensive testing that a slice of Warburtons Toastie doesn't fit ...
On 18/12/2014 22:46, Ian Jackson wrote:

Some years ago we bought a Kenwood single-slot toaster with adjustable depth. You can get a very large slice in (horizontally). Or two frozen croissants for defrost and warm-through. Even that struggles with one edge of many bought loaves unless you do rotate the slices during toasting.
So pleased that we finally had a sensible answer to toasting home-baked breads, we bought a second one as insurance. It has worked - the original is still working.
It had been a very expensive device but we got both in the last few days of Robert Dyas website flogging them off as end of range - something like one third the price they had been in the shops.
--
Rod

On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 01:03:54 -0000 Sailor wrote :

Depends on the machine and what you put in it: I make my loaves using 330g of flour (+250ml water) which gives a loaf size that is just right for toasting.
Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Yes, those that do vertical loaves produce a slice that is the same size as commercial slices.

Not with vertical loaves, that only affect how tall it is, not the size of the slices.

I do mine with 500g of breadmix and 310ml of water.

Has no effect on the size of the slice with a vertical loaf. Just the number of slices you get.