Somewhat OT - Electric toaster slot size

You must squash your loaves on the way home then, because mine

won't take Warburtons "sideways", I also seem to have fallen into the trap of thinking *all* Dualits are repairable, yet replacement elements aren't available for it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Anything that operates purely by controlling the amount of IR being delivered to the bread's surface will get the toasting wrong all too often. Each slice can be different - typically the first slice from a loaf or a pile of slices will have one side that is much drier than the other. Each slice can (obviously) also vary across its width and top to bottom.

Something that senses the toastedness is the way to go.

Ideally in conjunction with some sort of a matrix of IR emitters which can be controlled individually. Imagine a neat pile of aluminium cigar tubes - each with an IR element neat the closed end. Now shrink that so that each element would hit only a few square millimetres of bread. Add sensing and control mechanisms. That is getting somewhere...

Reply to
polygonum

And it will need a Raspberry Pi model Z (not yet released) to control it. Yes, yes, yes, we've been there before, and the outcome is that the King has the software engineer thrown into the moat.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ours has to have slices inserted sideways to get them fully in but it will take quite a thick slice. In fact two normal thick slices can share each slot though obviously only one side of each gets browned, but by turning them around and reinserting for another cycle I can serve eight slices at once to the hungry hordes rather than standing by the toaster and going back and forth. Going by the letters on the front it is called a Push, ang on that's to open the crumb drawer. Ah looking at the data plate on the back it's a Breville. Had it about 7 years now. This appears to be its successor.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

A scanning laser would be nice. You could 'print' pictures on to your toast too.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Surely application of an angle grinder will sort that?

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

How about a series of gas jets - the Paul Hogan method was a blowtorch!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Dip the bread in alcohol and light it?

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

I'll check the make then, ta. It's doubly likely to do that as the lowest setting is a fraction off cremated. Grrr.

Reply to
Scott M

I w

£86 says I'm not going to find out!