Toaster Frustration

Hi all

Have tried googling on this, but it appears that an appliance exists called a "toaster oven" which hijacks the search engines!

What causes a toaster to stop latching down? For toaster, read the UK device which toasts bread for most people in the morning these days. Ours is a Russel Hobbs chrome affair, suitable for 2 standard slices of bread side-by-side. Intermittently (and with increasing frequency) either the latch won't make, or it makes and then releases as soon as you have turned to get the butter. I know these things don't cost the earth, but this appliance still looks smart and I would hate to contribute to landfill.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Most toasters I have seen use a bimetal strip fixed to the chassis which engages with a lug on the bread carrier. Gets hot, bends, unlatches, carrier pops up.

The usual trouble is that the bimetal strip gets permanently distorted over time and fails to latch. Remedy - bend it back to shape.

Reply to
Roger Cain

"Roger Cain" wrote

Thanks Roger

Useful to have a starting point when trying to fault find/repair.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

In cases like that it helps any to negate some search words, i.e. search for "toaster -oven" without the quotes, or use a URL like this

Andy Burns

We had one with a magnetic holddown. Once a few crumbs had settled on it, the inverse square law came into play. Worth greasing the sliding bit while it's open. And you wouldn't believe where burnt crumbs can get...

Reply to
Joe

And the toaster with the sloping top (Tefal) has the magnetic hold-down and I have had a few crumbs spoiling the magnetic hold down due to introducing a gap.

Reply to
John

That's how they used to work but these days they pop up if you have a power failure as well. Must be a solenoid playing a part somewhere but the basic bimetal strip is the crude timer.

My toaster when set for prefection on the first two slices from cold will burn the next two.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The message from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

Tell her to concentrate more.

Reply to
Guy King

Have you checked for a dead mouse inside? That usually affects the latch.

But seriously, take the toaster apart methodically, putting the screws in a row in the order they came out. Toast crumbs gum up the mechanism, or maybe something has bent or is worn, or just plain bad design.

Reply to
Matty F